The Jump Start: Friday, February 1
Some links to start your Friday off right ...
• Only in Philadelphia will 20,000 people brave sub-freezing temperatures to tailgate in the middle of the night ahead of a wing-eating contest that's been sold out for weeks. Wing Bowl 21 started at 6 a.m. ET today. (You can listen in here.)
• Leave it to Kareem Abdul-Jabbar to write one of the sanest, on-point pieces of commentary on HBO's Girls, a show with no shortage of misguided critics.
• This is how close Phil Mickelson came to shooting a 59 yesterday.
• Russell Westbrook wasn't in the most talkative mood with Craig Sager last night.
• It's only getting worse for the 49ers. The team's much-acclaimed "It Gets Better" anti-bullying video has been removed from the project archive after two of the four players involved have denied involvement after finding out the video's purpose was the support of LGBT teens.
• Incredible no-look touch pass from Golden State's Jarrett Jack in last night's game against the Mavericks .
• Wake Forest will retire Chris Paul's No. 3 jersey on Mar. 2.
• Yesterday was soccer's transfer deadline day. Among other things it produced this fantastic photobomb.
• An interesting view from French journo Matt Spiro on the impact of David Beckham's transfer to Paris Saint-Germain. (The move landed on the front page of Friday's Le Parisien, Guardian and Wall Street Journal Europe.)
• Bar Refaeli’s Super Bowl commercial for Go Daddy, released online ahead of Sunday's game, is the ultimate geek fantasy.