Rangers shut down Yu Darvish for rest of season

Saturday September 6th, 2014

The Rangers opted to shut down starter Yu Darvish for the rest of the season on Saturday, the team announced.

The 28-year-old, who went on the disabled list on Aug. 13 with a mild inflammation in his right elbow, is close to being recovered, according to MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan, but he has not begun a throwing program.

Rafael Soriano out as Nationals' closer; team will use committee

"It's kind of one of those deals — if we wanted to be aggressive and push it, we could get him back the last week," said general manager Jon Daniels. "But we don't see any value in that. There is a lot more risk to it."

The Rangers enter their game against the Mariners on Saturday with the worst record in baseball at 53-88, and they've lost seven in a row.

"I have to go by what the doctors and the trainers say, so it is what it is," Darvish said. "Since I haven't picked up a ball I can't really tell, but I think it's getting much better.

"My job is to throw throughout the season, so I'm disappointed I wasn't able to complete my job."

Darvish was 10-7 with a 3.06 ERA in 22 starts this season, his third with the Rangers. The three-time All-Star is 39-25 with a 3.27 ERA in 83 career starts.

JAFFE: Success should define Ron Washington's tenure as Rangers manager

- Chris Mascaro

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.