Marlins president: Teams not calling about OF Giancarlo Stanton
Miami Marlins president Michael Hill said Tuesday that contract talks with star outfielder Giancarlo Stanton are ongoing and that opposing teams have stopped inquiring with the Marlins about a potential trade for Stanton, according to the Boston Globe's Nick Cafardo.
The Marlins opened long-term contract talks with Stanton last week, and Hill said the team hopes to keep its franchise cornerstone while upping its payroll from $44 million to $60 million next season.
"I've got to believe there is a finality to it, because we're going to move into the 2015 season," Hill said to MLB.com last week. "These things have their own ebb and flow. There is still, I'd guess you'd say, relevant information to the process still unknown. But we've reached out and let his representative know we're ready to engage."
While it was reported in August that Miami wasn't optimistic of signing Stanton to a long-term deal, the outfielder said the following month that he'd be open to re-signing with the team if it showed a commitment to winning. The Marlins reportedly plan to offer Stanton the largest contract in team history.
Stanton is due to be a free agent after the 2016 season and is expected to go to arbitration for a pay raise this offseason if the two sides can't agree to a long-term deal. This season, Stanton hit .288, tied his career high with 37 home runs and had a career-high 105 RBI while making $6.5 million. His year ended after 145 games when he was hit in the face by a pitch by Milwaukee Brewers starter Mike Fiers on Sept. 11.
Stanton's value could rise further if he's named the National League MVP. He's a finalist for the award, the winner of which will be announced Thursday.
The Marlins went 77-85 this season, marking a 15-game improvement from last year and the team's most wins since 2010.
- Mike Fiammetta