Tuesday June 23rd, 2015

The Boston Red Sox have optioned outfielder Rusney Castillo to Triple A Pawtucket, the team announced on Tuesday.

Castillo, whom the Red Sox signed to a seven-year, $72.5 million contract in August 2014, has received less playing time following Boston‘s trade for Alejandro De Aza.

Over 26 games, Castillo is batting .230 with one home run, six RBIs and a .544 OPS.

The Red Sox called up the 28-year-old outfielder from Pawtucket on May 22 after 18 minor-league games. 

After defecting from Cuba last year, Castillo signed his big contract with the Red Sox and hit .333 (12-for-36) over 10 games in September.

Hit and Run: Jose Fernandez's return draws near; Pujols keeps streaking

Red Sox manager John Farrell said Castillo was optioned in order to give him regular playing time. Castillo last started a game on June 16 against the Atlanta Braves.

“We just need to get him back playing every ” Farrell told reporters before Tuesday’s game against the Baltimore Orioles. “He had been relegated to a bench role here, which in fairness to him, was difficult to get into any kind of rhythm, gain some confidence in which he needs to with every day play. That is the move with him.”

Red Sox will retire Pedro Martinez's No. 45 on July 28

Also on Tuesday, the Red Sox activated catcher Erik Kratz, who they claimed off waivers on Sunday from the Kansas City Royals, and righthander Justin Masterson. Righthander Steven Wright was also optioned to Pawtucket with Castillo.

The Red Sox entered Tuesday 31–40, last in the AL East.

Mike Fiammetta

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.