Thursday June 25th, 2015

An attorney for the Houston Astros said that the team has not received a subpoena in regards to the alleged hacking of its private database and computer systems by the St. Louis Cardinals.

The New York Times reported last week that the Cardinals are under investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the U.S. Department of Justice, which are determining whether St. Louis was behind an effort to steal information from the Astros' database, called Ground Control.

The Times also reported that Astros “received a subpoena in recent months for more information from their network.”

“The Astros have never been subpoenaed in this matter,” Astros general counsel Giles Kibbe said to the Houston Chronicle. “We’ve cooperated with the FBI and U.S. Attorney’s office throughout this investigation and provided them with everything they’ve asked for. And we will continue to do so.” 

MORE MLB: Cardinals' hacking is worse than Deflategate

Astros general manager Jeff Luhnow told SI.com that it is “absolutely false” that the hacking was due to the Astros' failure to change passwords on their networks. 

Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak and owner/chairman Bill DeWitt Jr. both denied having any knowledge about the hacking, with DeWitt blaming “roguish behavior” for his team's involvement in hacking scandal. 

According to the Houston Chronicle, the Cardinals had unauthorized access to the Astros' computer information as early as 2012. The FBI started investigating after a second breach of the database was found in March 2014.

- Scooby Axson

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.