The NBA rumor mill continues to churn as we move closer to the June 25 NBA draft. Even as the Cavaliers and Warriors compete in the NBA Finals, check back often as we update below with the latest draft scoops, news, rumors and possible transactions.
For more on the NBA draft, check out Chris Mannix’s latest first-round mock draft and Jake Fischer’s Q&A with Kristaps Porzingis, a Latvian prospect who has reportedly climbed up many teams’ draft boards.
See the latest news and rumors below.
• Cameron Payne had to cut his workout with the Nuggets on Monday short due to a right wrist contusion, reports Chris Dempsey of the Denver Post.
• Kelly Oubre said he believes he can be “as good as or better” than Jimmy Butler, James Harden and Kawhi Leonard, who he has studied, according to Jody Genessy of the Deseret News.
• The Philadelphia Inquirer reports that there is a “legitimate chance” Joel Embiid could miss the entire 2015–16 season due to his latest setback with his right foot injury. If this happens, a source told the Inquirer that an Eastern Conference executive said the 76ers' rebuilding plan would be doomed.
• In light of Joel Embiid’s recent setback with his foot injury, the Sixers’ draft plans have been thrown into question. Surgery has not yet been ruled out on Embiid, and NJ.com reports that although Ohio State point guard D’Angelo Russell had frequently been linked to the Sixers at No. 3, the team could be tempted to draft a big man. Kentucky forward Karl-Anthony Towns and Duke center Jahlil Okafor are widely expected to be off the board when the Sixers pick, so Philadelphia could look toward players like Porzingis or Duke forward Justise Winslow.
• Russell canceled his workout planned for this weekend with the Sixers because he was “real sick,” reports The Philadelphia Enquirer’s Keith Pompey.
• French forward Alpha Kaba and French swingman Timothe Luwawu have officially dropped out of the draft, reports NetsDaily.com. The Nets were reported to have interest in Luwawu.
• Kentucky forward Trey Lyles, Penn State guard D.J. Newbill, Serbian guard Nikola Radicevic, Murray State guard Cameron Payne and Rhode Island forward Gilvydas Biruta will work out for the Denver Nuggets on Monday, the team announced.
• Italian forward Simone Fontecchio plans to withdraw from the draft, reports Daniele Labanti. Fontecchio was a potential second-round pick.
• Emmanuel Mudiay will meet with the 76ers on Monday and work out for the team on Tuesday, reports SNY.tv.