The NBA Finals have concluded, and the Cleveland Cavaliers are on top of the basketball world for the first time in franchise history. The Cavs came from 3–1 down in the Finals for the first time in league history, beating the Golden State Warriors behind a triple-double from series MVP LeBron James.
With that, the NBA off-season has officially begun. Here are some of the latest NBA free agency rumors:
• Rockets center Dwight Howard has decided to opt out of his contract, the team announced Tuesday. He turned down a $23.2 million player option for 2016-17.
Rockets tried to convince Dwight Howard to remain with the team according to a source.— Calvin Watkins (@calvinwatkins) June 22, 2016
• The Orlando Magic, Detroit Pistons and Los Angeles Lakers are all interested in free agent center Al Horford, who spent the past nine seasons with the Atlanta Hawks.
• Coming off a the Cavaliers’ NBA Finals victory, LeBron James said he doesn’t have plans to going anywhere else for next year. He has a one-year player option to return to the Cleveland Cavaliers in the 2016-17 season.
• David West has decided not to pick up his option with the San Antonio Spurs, reports Tom Orsborn of the San Antonio Express News.
• Spurs guard Manu Ginobili will opt out of his contract, but could play next season, reports Shams Charania of The Vertical. According to Yahoo! Sports, Ginobili is leaning towards returning to San Antonio under a new contract.
• Mavericks point guard Deron Williams has informed the team that he will opt for free agency, reports ESPN’s Marc Stein. Teammates Dirk Nowitzki and Chandler Parsons have done the same.