NBA rumors: Latest off–season news, buzz from training camp
Training camps have only been open for a week, but several teams are already dealing with injuries. The NBA preseason gets started on Saturday, when the Golden State Warriors will face the Toronto Raptors in Vancouver.
Check out the latest NBA news and rumors below.
• Dallas Mavericks point guard Deron Williams admitted he's about seven pounds overweight, blaming it on not being able to do anything for 2-3 months after sports hernia surgery, reports Dwain Price of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
• San Antonio Spurs guard Manu Ginobili does not have a timeframe on how much longer he wants to play, saying he has not thought about retirement, reports Jabari Young of the San Antonio Express-News.
• Cleveland Cavaliers head coach Tyronn Lue has extended an open invitation to the recently-retired Kevin Garnett to join his coaching staff, reports ESPN's Dave McMenamin.
• The Oklahoma City Thunder announced that backup point guard Cameron Payne has suffered a broken bone in his foot.
• Milwaukee Bucks rookie Thon Maker was cleared of serious injury after having tests on his hurt wrist and returned to training camp on Friday, reports Roje Adaimy of the Australian Associated Press.
• The Houston Rockets have signed forward P.J. Hairston to a non-guaranteed contract, reports ESPN's Calvin Watkins.
• Several teams have expressed interest in Hasheem Thabeet, the No. 2 pick in the 2009 draft, as he tries to resurrect his NBA career, reports Gery Woelfel of the Racine Journal Times. Thabeet last played in the NBA for the Thunder in the 2013-14 season.