A judge has dismissed a juror from the Aaron Hernandez murder trial after it was determined there was "credible evidence" that the juror had formed an opinion on the case in the past, according to the Boston Globe.
Judge E. Susan Garsh said the juror had expressed doubt in the past about the ability to convict Hernandez without a murder weapon. She also said the juror discussed evidence that was ruled inadmissible at trial.
The judge also said there was evidence that the juror had attended more New England Patriots games in the past than she had disclosed during jury selection, and that the juror previously expressed interest in being on the jury for the trial.
From the Globe:
Garsh said the juror's service posed "a substantial risk" to the fairness of the proceeding and the juror should be dismissed in the "best interests of justice."
Hernandez's trial began last week and was postponed on Monday due to another winter storm hitting the Boston area.
Hernandez, 25, is charged with first-degree murder and other weapons charges over the June 2013 shooting death of 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, a semi-professional football player who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancée. Hernandez pleaded not guilty to the charges.
Lloyd’s girlfriend, Shaneah Jenkins, testified on Friday that Hernandez and Lloyd were casual friends but not close, only socializing a few times to smoke marijuana. Lloyd's mother is expected to testify on Tuesday.
Hernandez has pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- Molly Geary