NFL rumors: Latest news for Week 5 on injuries and more
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The Indianapolis Colts started Week 5 of the NFL season with a 27–20 victory over the Houston Texans on Thursday, behind the arm of stand-in quarterback Matt Hasselbeck. As we head into Sunday’s games, only the Detroit Lions are left searching for their first win, while the Atlanta Falcons, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Denver Broncos, Green Bay Packers and New England Patriots all remain undefeated.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The Miami Dolphins announced Thursday that they have fired defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle. The news comes just three days after head coach Joe Philbin was fired. Defensive backs coach Lou Anarumo will take over Coyle’s role for the remainder of the season.
• Houston Texans he coach Bill O’Brien won’t commit to either Ryan Mallett or Brian Hoyer as the team’s long-term starting quarterback, Pro Football Talk reports. Mallett started Thursday’s loss to the Colts, but was later replaced by Hoyer for the second-straight game.
• The Pittsburgh Steelers say they’re more comfortable and confident in quarterback Michael Vick heading into Monday’s game against the San Diego Chargers, according to Mark Kaboly of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Vick will be making his second-straight start in place of the injured Ben Roethlisberger.
• Minnesota Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said that wide receiver Cordarrelle Patterson is “making strides” in his development, ESPN’s Ben Goessling reports. Patterson only has two catches for 10 yards this season.
• Buffalo Bills safety Aaron Williams will return to the starting lineup for Sunday’s game against the Titans, Jay Skurski of the Buffalo News reports. Williams has missed the last two games with a neck injury.
• Indianapolis Colts head coach Chuck Pagano is “supremely confident” in his team ahead of its matchup against the Patriots next weekend, Pro Football Talk reports.