NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, draft picks
By Matt Connolly, Chat Sports
NFL teams are continuing to shore up their rosters with the draft in the rearview. Monday was crucial for a group of 2013 first-rounders waiting to get their options picked up, but that wasn’t the only big story circulating around the league.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Twelve first-round picks from 2013, including Jacksonville Jaguars No. 2 overall pick Luke Joeckel, have had their fifth-year options declined, reports Pro Football Talk.
• Buffalo Bills backup quarterback EJ Manuel was another first-rounder whose fifth-year option was declined. His departure effectively puts former Ohio State star Cardale Jones second on the team’s depth chart.
• The NFL has denied a prior report that Miami Dolphins first-round pick Laremy Tunsil will avoid the league’s substance abuse program.
• There is an open competition for the Cleveland Browns starting quarterback job, according to Browns head of football operations Sachi Brown, meaning third-round pick Cody Kessler will compete with Robert Griffin III and others.
• Second-round pick Christian Hackenberg could also see some action under center this year, according to Jets GM Mike Maccagnan. The team remains locked in a contract dispute with quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick.
• A reunion could be possible between veteran safety Antrel Rolle and the New York Giants, reports ESPN’s Dan Graziano.
• The New York Giants are eyeing veteran cornerback Leon Hall, reports Mike Garofolo of Fox Sports.
• Peyton Manning is not interested in pursuing a TV deal in 2016, according to the New York Daily News.