By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The off-season remains in a quiet state as NFL teams prepare for the start of training camp next month. Despite the standstill, there is still considerable talk about the ongoing contract standoff between the Denver Broncos and linebacker Von Miller.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Despite Miller’s claim that he will not play this season without receiving a long-term extension, he and the Broncos have had “minimal talks” over the last few weeks, according to ESPN’s Jeremy Fowler.
• The Chicago Bears are currently negotiating a long-term extension with wide receiver Alshon Jeffery, reports Fowler, who also cited that a deal is “certainly possible” before the July 15 deadline.
• Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson said the grind of the NFL, rather than age, will ultimately force him to retire, reports ESPN’s Ben Goessling.
• Although the New Orleans Saints are still negotiating a contract with quarterback Drew Brees, Brees is confident they will reach a deal, reports USA Today’s Alysha Tsuji.
• Detroit Lions quarterback Matthew Stafford said the team will be tougher to defend this season without Calvin Johnson, reports ESPN’s Michael Rothstein.
• Pittsburgh Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin made the decision to fire Bruce Arians in 2011 when Arians was the Steelers offensive coordinator, reports HBO Real Sports’ Andrea Kramer. Arians, who is now the head coach of the Arizona Cardinals, believes he was “sold out” by the Steelers.
• Former Dallas Cowboys running back Joseph Randle was charged with a felony after making a criminal threat, reports the Wichita Eagle’s Amy Renee Leiker. Randle has been involved in a criminal incident seven times in the past two years.
• Former Miami Dolphins wide receiver Davone Bess was arrested after a standoff with police and a SWAT team, according to the Associated Press.