By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The NHL season is hitting the home stretch, and front offices around the league are beginning to kick things into high gear with just 20 days to go until the trade deadline.
Check out the latest NHL news and rumors below.
• The Senators acquired Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf in a nine-player trade on Tuesday.
• The Winnipeg Jets announced they have signed defenseman Dustin Byfuglien to a five-year, $38 million extension.
• On a scale of 1–10, prospective owner Bill Foley told KSNV NBC that he rates his confidence a 9.5 on the NHL giving him an expansion team in Las Vegas.
• Los Angeles Kings forward Milan Lucic told the Los Angeles Times that he wants to “remain a King” for the rest of his career.
• Florida Panthers forward Aleksander Barkov possibly sustained a concussion after a hit from Detroit Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader, reports the Miami Herald’s George Richards. The Panthers are calling the hit a “cheap shot.”
• New York Rangers defenseman Ryan McDonagh is out indefinitely as the severity of the concussion he suffered on Saturday is not yet known, reports the New York Post’s Larry Brooks.
• There is no timetable for the return of New Jersey Devils forward Mike Cammalleri, who has missed four games in a row with a hand injury, reports NorthJersey.com’s Andrew Gross.
• New York Rangers forward Rick Nash is expected to miss his seventh straight game Wednesday against the Pittsburgh Penguins, reports Gross.
• The Devils unveiled a statue of future Hall of Fame goalie Martin Brodeur, who will have his jersey retired by the team Tuesday night.