Report: Ravens' Ray Rice could have assault charge dropped if he completes pretrial program
The program is "a diversion program that permits certain defendants (particularly first-time ones, which Rice is) to avoid formal prosecution," according to the report. Rice would be required to attend the program for a minimum of one year, at which time the third-degree aggravated assault charge against him would be dismissed.
"We're very happy with the result. We're glad that the court and the prosecutor's office agreed PTI was the appropriate disposition for the case," Rice's attorney, Michael Diamondstein, told ESPN's Adam Caplan on Tuesday.
"This decision was arrived at after careful consideration of the information contained in Mr. Rice's application in light of all the facts gathered during the investigation," prosecutor Jim McClain said. "After considering all relevant information in light of applicable law it was determined that this was the appropriate disposition."
The 27-year-old was arrested after an incident in Atlantic City, N.J., on Feb. 15 in which he had a physical altercation with then-fiancée Janay Palmer. The couple has since married.
Rice was indicted by a grand jury in late March for allegedly hitting Palmer. Police reportedly had video of Rice knocking Palmer unconscious before dragging her out of an elevator at Revel Casino and Hotel. Palmer was also charged in the incident.
Rice has 6,180 rushing yards and 37 rushing touchdowns in six NFL seasons and has been one of the league's most durable backs in that time, missing only four games. He also has 3,034 receiving yards and six receiving touchdowns, but last year he only had 981 yards from scrimmage and four TDs. SI WIRE: NFL tables playoff expansion talks for 2014 season