Daily Bagel: The contrasting styles of young stars Bouchard and Halep
The Daily Bagel is your dose of the interesting reporting, writing and quipping from around the Internet.
• Photo: Prince William shows off his forehand drop shot during an official visit in Coventry, England on Wednesday.
• The future is now: Peter Bodo takes a look at the contrasting styles -- both on and off the court -- of Eugenie Bouchard and Simona Halep.
It would be interesting to report what Bouchard said about Halep’s game before their Wimbledon encounter. Alas, Bouchard press conferences drift relentlessly toward naff questions about Justin Bieber, royals Will and Kate (who attended the match), and double-entendre references to pop culture. Commercial rewards and success will be as much of a threat to Bouchard’s career and character as any woman swinging a racquet. There was just one question about Halep put to Bouchard in her presser. And, being the last question posed during a long and tedious session, nobody, including Bouchard, particularly cared about the answer.
Of course, Halep was peppered with questions about Bouchard, as well as the match she had played before against Sabine Lisicki. There was not a word about William and Kate. But if you feel bad for Halep, hold your horses. She was spared having to expound, as Bouchard did, on Bieber’s chances of getting into Wimbledon’s Royal Box.
• The NYPD says despite an Al-Qaeda publication naming the U.S. Open as a possible target for a car bomb, there have been no reported terror threats.
• Patrick Mouratoglou is still Serena's coach. But should he be?
Patrick Mouratoglou tells France's Tennis Magazine that despite Serena's Wimbledon troubles, he remains her coach — Christopher Clarey (@christophclarey) July 16, 2014
• John McEnroe interviewed Noah Rubin on ESPN Radio.
• From TenniShorts: How tennis lost Annika Sorenstam to golf.
• Aleksandra Wozniak is dating hockey player Louis Leblanc.
• Nice photobomb, Billie!