Even CM Punk was among those mocking the NHL for its bizarre choice of Kid Rock as All-Star Game entertainment.
1. The NHL announced last night that Kid Rock would be performing at its All-Star Game this year. Given that Rock is 1) Irrelevant the music world these days and 2) A Donald Trump supporter, Twitter was aghast. So, Twitter was being Twitter, basically. There were many amusing tweets, but we need to call out one in particular. How about legit die-hard NHL fan, and former WWE superstar, CM Punk using a GIF of himself to give his reaction to the news? Is that allowed? Should that be a no-no? Or is it wise use of the GIF option?
As for other reactions, here is a sampling of some of the best:
NHL: The fans and podcasts sullied the game with the John Scott voting. No one will watch.— Kishore Hari (@sciencequiche) January 17, 2018
Result: Record ratings
NHL: We're going to lock down voting, not let the players go to the Olympics, and infuse the game with entertainment. Here's Kid Rock.
The NHL looked at how much attention that college football got for having trendy, young, peak-popularity artist in Kendrick Lamar play the halftime show. So they decided to get...— Sung Min Kim (@sung_minkim) January 17, 2018
Kid Rock. huh
Kid Rock has one #1 record. It came 11 years ago.— Tom Hunter (@PuckDontLie) January 17, 2018
As always, the NHL proves they have their finger on the pulse of pop culture.
So the last two musical acts booked by the NHL are the Goo Goo Dolls and Kid Rock. I must have an essay due tomorrow— Blake Price (@BlakePriceTSN) January 17, 2018
NHL exec: "Hey! Let's unnecessarily align ourselves with a divisive performer in a politically sensitive time in exchange for songs at an intermission event that no one cares about for a sport that is generally not political."— Birdie Num Nums (@BirdieNumNums_1) January 17, 2018
All: "this sounds like a good risk reward trade-off"
You couldn’t just give auston matthews a kazoo and have kessel play the spoons huh— pro fisherman jersey account (@stickpuckturtle) January 17, 2018
My two cents: There is nothing more useless in all sports than an All-Star game. It doesn't count. It's meaningless. I don't think anybody should get worked up over anything that has to do with any All-Star game ever. Having said that, why punish people by subjecting them to Kid Rock? How does this help you bring one extra viewer to the TV? Why would you not pick a current artist?
For most people, this tweet pretty much sums this entire situation.
2. You have to see the reaction of Vikings' defensive end, Everson Griffen, to Stefon Diggs' crazy touchdown.
3. J.J. Watt is a 6-foot-5, 290 pound football player making $100 million. But none of that helps when its snows and he has to clean off a car and he doesn't have an ice scraper. That happened to the Texans star yesterday and he had to resort to using a gift card.
4. WWE superstar Seth Rollins has big bone to pick with Chipotle.
5. The New York Post has an amusing feature story on the person behind the @BortlesFacts Twitter account, which has picked up a lot of steam the past couple of weeks.
6. Shaq filmed himself driving on icy roads in Georgia and you have to wait for the payoff.
7. Anna Kendrick is a great follow on Twitter. She showed why again yesterday.
Traina Thoughts is the best of the Internet, plus musings by SI.com writer, Jimmy Traina. Get the link to a new Traina's Thoughts each day by following on Twitter and liking on Facebook. Catch up on previous editions of Traina Thoughts right here. And check out Jimmy Traina's weekly podcast, "Off The Board."
BONUS ITEM: Betty White recently said vodka and hot dogs are the secret to her longevity. Today is her 96th birthday. Enjoy a few Grey Goose's in her honor.