ESPN's Josh McCown ranks Julian Edelman as fourth-best WR and Twitter goes nuts.
1. Josh McCown made his debut as an ESPN NFL analyst Wednesday and let's just say he didn't win over the Twitter crowd.
Just like all of us, the former quarterback had some first-day jitters because he ranked Julian Edelman as the fourth-best receiver in football. Not the AFC. Not the AFC East. BUT THE ENTIRE NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE. DeAndre Hopkins and Antonio Brown did not make McCown's top five.
While we would never judge someone based on one day of work and while we would never mock someone for a bad first day at the office, Twitter certainly would. And did.
People like me take a lot of flak because "(we) never played the game". But we've got Maurice Jones-Drew putting 24 RBs ahead of David Johnson and Josh McCown putting Julian Edelman ahead of Nuk and AB. So maybe being a former player doesn't make you an ace talent evaluator— Chris Spooner (@SpoonfulOfSport) June 19, 2019
Hang in there, Josh.
2. Marc Gasol had a pheneomenal tweet about the Raptors' parade.
3. I've said it a million times and I'll say it a million more: If baseball wants to increase ratings, mic up every player for every game.
This pitch to end the game was WAY off the plate and Randal Grichuk of the Toronto Blue Jays let the home plate umpire know it.— Justin Russo (@FlyByKnite) June 20, 2019
Randal Grichuk: “Are you kidding me?! That was six inches off the plate! Oh my god! You’re terrible! God damn!” pic.twitter.com/xrDHuCSg2F
4. It was great to see Alex Trebek looking so good at the NHL awards.
5. NO! NO! NO! Nikki Bella told Jimmy Fallon that she ruined the Game of Thrones finale for her brother-in-law Daniel Bryan by telling him who was on the throne before he had watched the episode.
6. Why would someone try to steal such an awful song?
7. A brand new SI Media Podcast just dropped and the guest is Scott Van Pelt. The SportsCenter host talks about the challenges of doing a live show immediately following the NBA Finals and all that goes into it. We also discussed the real story of why he's never been to the ESPYS, how much impact the legalization of sports betting has had and the time he got pranked by a Howard Stern fan on a live SportsCenter.
8. RANDOM YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE DAY: I've been in a Bobby Heenan-Gorilla Monsoon mood lately. This sketch might have been their best work ever.
Be sure to catch up on past editions of Traina Thoughts and check out the Sports Illustrated Media Podcast hosted by Jimmy Traina on iTunes, Spotify or Google Play. You can also follow Jimmy on Twitter and Instagram.
IN CLOSING: FYI, when a network says that there are no plans to have a person on said network "for now," that means they are not banned.