NFL rumors: Latest off-season news on free agency, trades, more
By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The NFL off-season has died down as teams across the league turn their focus to minicamps and preparation for next season, but there is still plenty of buzz across the league.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• Denver Broncos cornerback Aqib Talib was shot in the leg at a Dallas nightclub early Sunday morning, reports the Dallas Morning News’ Liz Farmer. Talib’s injuries only required stitches, and the team says he will make a full recovery.
• The Minnesota Vikings signed safety Harrison Smith to a five-year, $51.25 million extension, reports ESPN’s Ben Goessling.
• Carolina Panthers defensive tackle Kawann Short is skipping the team’s off-season workouts, reports the Black and Blue Review’s Bill Voth. Short is seeking an extension from the Panthers.
• Philadelphia Eagles head coach Doug Pederson told the team’s website that quarterback Sam Bradford has become “the leader of this football team.”
• Eagles running back Darren Sproles is expected to report to minicamp this week, reports NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport. Sproles had skipped OTAs as the team looked into trading him.
• San Francisco 49ers head coach Chip Kelly told KGMZ-FM that quarterbacks Blaine Gabbert and Colin Kaepernick “have a similar skill set.”
• Former Detroit Lions running back Joique Bell told the Detroit Free Press that he has two or three offers on the table.