$5 million class action lawsuit filed over Hall of Fame Game cancelation
A class-action lawsuit was filed against the National Football League and Pro Football Hall of Fame for the cancelation of the Hall of Fame game on Sunday due to poor field conditions.
The lawsuit, obtained by ESPN, was filed on behalf of four people at the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio Eastern Division, and seeks more than $5 million in damages from the NFL and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
The plaintiffs are represented by attorney Michael Avenatti, who made good on his promise earlier this week to sue the league.
The lawsuit wants "damages owed to themselves and others similarly situated" and claims the league has a "history of mismanaging the stadiums where its games are held," citing a seating dispute at Super Bowl XLV at Cowboys Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Sunday's scheduled Hall of Fame Game in Canton, Ohio, between the Green Bay Packers and the Indianapolis Colts was canceled after concerns about player safety.
The lawsuit also says that the field decking was put up for a concert held last Friday and for the Hall of Fame induction ceremonies the next day was supposed to be removed by 8 a.m. on game day but wasn't taken out until 2:45 p.m.
"Even as it became clear that the game would not be played, defendants continued to maintain a facade of normality for fans and the general public," the lawsuit says.
– Scooby Axson