Rounds two and three of the NFL draft went off without a hitch on Friday but were filled with plenty of surprise and drama.
The Eagles selected Oklahoma quarterback Jalen Hurts with the No. 53 pick and the Colts traded up to take Wisconsin running back Jonathan Taylor. Some special guests even showed up for the virtual draft. Guy Fieri made a cameo to take a detour to Flavortown and Bill Belichick's dog stepped in to make a second-round pick for the Patriots.
After being drafted No. 1 overall by the Bengals, quarterback Joe Burrow is wasting no time getting ready for his new job. ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Burrow has been studying Cincinnati's offense for weeks and will be ready to compete for the starting job right away.
On Friday, ESPN's Ben Baby reported that Burrow would compete with Andy Dalton for the Bengals' starting quarterback spot. Dalton, who is entering the final year of his contract, has been the Bengals' primary starter since 2011.
Check out the latest news and rumors around the NFL:
- The 49ers traded wide receiver Marquise Goodwin and a sixth-round pick (210) to the Eagles for a sixth-round pick (190). (Adam Schefter, ESPN)
- The Dolphins will trade their fifth-round pick for 49ers RB Matt Breida. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- 49ers OT Joe Staley is expected to retire due to health concerns. (Adam Schefter, ESPN)
- Washington has agreed to trade left tackle Trent Williams to the 49ers in exchange for a fifth-round pick in this year's NFL draft and a 2021 third-round pick. (Ian Rapoport, Tom Pelissero and Mike Garafolo, NFL Network)
- Williams and the 49ers are expected to restructure the final year remaining on his contract. He is set to make $12.5 million in 2020. (Adam Schefter, ESPN)
- Lions GM Bob Quinn said his team did not back out of a trade with the Texans during the draft Friday night. Texans coach and GM Bill O'Brien appeared angry and walked off-camera during the draft broadcast, and The Houston Chronicle reported Detroit "backed out at [the] last instant." (Kyle Meinke, MLive.com)
- Trent Williams denied that he shot down a potential trade to the Vikings. (John Keim and Courtney Cronin, ESPN)
- The Texans have engaged in preliminary discussions with quarterback DeShaun Watson on a possible contract extension. Left tackle Laremy Tunsil reportedly agreed to a three-year, $66 million extension with Houston on Friday. (Ed Werder, ESPN)
- The Dolphins were "fine" with Tua Tagovailoa's medicals during the NFL Scouting Combine. (Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)