Rams quarterbacks Jared Goff and John Wolford are expected to have an open competition for the starting job next season if both remain on the roster, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.
Goff, 26, has been the Rams' full-time starting quarterback over the past four years and led the team to a Super Bowl appearance during the 2018 season. Wolford, 25, has been with the Rams as a backup since signing in April 2019.
Wolford made his first start in L.A.'s Week 17 victory over the Cardinals on Jan. 9 as Goff was recovering from thumb surgery. He was also named the starter in the wild-card round but exited early due to a neck injury.
In his Week 17 victory, Wolford recorded 231 passing yards and 56 rushing yards with one interception.
The Rams reportedly "like what they saw" out of Wolford during the time he played and have liked what he has shown in training camp, per Rapoport.
As for a potential Goff trade, Rams GM Les Snead left his options open.
“What I can say is Jared Goff is a Ram at this moment,” Snead said on Tuesday. “It’s way too early to speculate on the future. That’s a beautiful mystery.”
Goff has recorded 45 total wins, including three playoff victories, over his last four seasons with the Rams. That is the second-most in the NFL behind Tom Brady (55). He is under contract through 2024.
Keep up with the latest rumors around the NFL:
- 11-time Pro Bowl TE Jason Witten will sign a one-day contract to retire as a member of the Cowboys. (Todd Archer, ESPN)
- Former Tennessee head coach Jeremy Pruitt was reportedly closing in on a deal to join the Jets' coaching staff on Wednesday. However, it was reported hours later that he'd be joining the Giants in a yet to be decided role. (Bruce Feldman, The Athletic) (Dan Duggan, The Athletic)
- The Texans have been "impressed" by Ravens assistant David Culley through his interview process and he is gaining support for Houston's head coach vacancy. (Mike Garafolo, Ian Rapoport, NFL Network)
- Eli Manning met with Giants owner John Mara to discuss a potential future role with the organization. (Gary Myers)
- The Eagles are hiring Colts tight ends coach Jason Michael as their TE coach. (Tom Pelissero, NFL Network)
- Florida offensive coordinator Brian Johnson is being hired by the Eagles as a quarterbacks coach. (Adam Rittenberg, ESPN)
- The Seahawks plan to hire Rams passing game coordinator Shane Waldron as their new offensive coordinator. (Adam Schefter, ESPN)
- NFL teams have started to reach out to the Lions about what it would take to acquire quarterback Matthew Stafford in a trade. (Adam Schefter, ESPN)