Every week is a new week in the NFL and a new reason for a team to be motivated to be better than it was the week prior.
But for the New York Giants, this weekend’s game against the Dallas Cowboys comes with a bit of extra motivation courtesy of former quarterback Troy Aikman, who during a radio interview with "The Musers" on 96.7 FM The Ticket in Dallas, opined that the Giants aren’t in the Cowboys class.
Aikman’s opinion has made its way to East Rutherford, where the Giants, a seven-point underdog, are looking to prove to the world that last week’s upset win over the New Orleans Saints in overtime wasn’t a fluke.
A classic case of bulletin board material?
"We don’t even have a bulletin board in there, to be honest with you," said Gints head coach Joe Judge with a straight face. "Everything’s screens and magnets and stuff now. We’re in the future now, so we don’t have bulletin boards anymore."
But seriously, Judge downplayed Aikman’s comments and the impact his words might have on the team's motivation.
“I don’t think we really need any external motivation to show up and do our jobs and do them effectively, to be honest with you,” Judge said.
Giants Interview Cowboys DC Dan Quinn for Head Coaching Vacancy
Quinn is the first of the known candidates for the head coaching vacancy to meet with the Giants at their East Rutherford headquarters.
New York Giants Roster Rebuild Plan: Inside Linebackers
The Giants have players at inside linebacker they can turn to in 2022, but do they need more?
Giants Interview Bills OC Brian Daboll for Head Coaching Vacancy
The Giants met with Bills offensive coordinator Brian Daboll for their head coaching job before the Bills lost the AFC Divisional round to the Chiefs. They were so impressed that they're meeting a second time with Daboll.
“I think you have to understand the magnitude of every game you play. These division games are obviously no different, so if we need somebody else to kind of get us in the mind frame to play, I think we have other issues at hand.”
The 3-1 Cowboys have been clicking these past few weeks on all cylinders and have been one of the most productive teams in the NFC East through the season's first four games.
So while Aikman, who along with Joe Buck will be in the broadcast booth this weekend to call the game, wasn’t wrong in his praise of his former team, where he went wrong was in his put-down, intentional or not, of the Giants.
Judge, however, didn’t want to get into a war of words with the Hall of Fame quarterback, instead preferring to let the talking be done between the white lines.
“We have to acknowledge this team’s one of the best statistically that this league’s seen in a long time to be ranked this high on offense as a rushing team, a passing team, defensively – in terms of turnovers and takeaways, along with rushing defense,” Judge said.
“To be this situationally good and to be this good in the kicking game, this team’s an outstanding team. There’s no getting around it. This team’s extremely talented. They’re well-coached and they’re obviously winning games right now playing the right way. I think this is obviously one of the top teams in the league and one of the top teams we’ll see in a long time.”
More from Giants Country
- New York Giants Need More from Their Pass Rush
- New York Giants Week 5 Opponent Breakdown: Dallas Cowboys Offense
- How the Giants Benefitted (and Can Continue to Benefit) from Kadarius Toney
- Daniel Jones Coming of Age After Rocky Start to Giants Career
- New York Giants Week 5 Opponent Breakdown: Dallas Cowboys Defense
- Behind Enemy Lines: Five Questions Answered by Cowboy Maven Reporter Timm Hamm
- Cowboys LB Micah Parsons Holds No Resentment Toward Giants for Passing on Him in Draft
- Giants Edge Rusher Azeez Ojulari Earns Recognition for Strong NFL Start
- Saquon Barkley Showing Growing Confidence in Return from Torn ACL
- New York Giants: Storylines, Surprises and What to Watch After First Four Games of 2021: Part 1 | Part 2 | Part 3
Join the Giants Country Community
- Sign up for our FREE digest newsletter
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Listen and subscribe to the daily LockedOn Giants podcast.
- Subscribe and like the new LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums
- Subscribe and like our YouTube Channel