Gameday Live Blog / Open Thread: Panthers vs Redskins
It's easy to join the conversation. Just click the "follow" button in the right corner of the site, then log in with either Facebook or Google to discuss.
- It's almost time for kickoff at Bank of America Stadium for the game between the Carolina Panthers (5-5) and the Atlanta Falcons (2-9). This will be the 15th meeting between the teams, with Washington holding an 8-6 lead, including a 23-17 win last season at Fedex Field. Before that, the Panthers beat Washington five straight times between 2009 and 2016. It's 64 degrees and partly cloud.
- Panthers to receive opening kick.
- Neither team in playoff contention coming into today, with Carolina projected as a 10th seed if the playoffs started today.
- Touchback. Panthers start on their own 25 and five plays later 1st and 10 from the Washington 11.
- Kyle Allen hits Curtis Samuel for a 4-yard touchdown. Fabian Moreau in coverage for Washington, but appeared to slip. Eight plays, 75 yards, 4:21 of game clock. Panthers lead 7-0 with 10:39 left in first quarter.
- Flip card changes for Washington at Carolina: Daley starting at LET, Williams at LG, Love at NG.
- Eric Reid with a sack of Dwayne Haskins on the cornerback blitz. Loss of eight, 3rd and 18 from Washington's own 17. Washington can't convert, is punting. Moore gets it at Carolina 36, down at its own 45.
- Lots of Christian McCaffrey during Panthers' initial drive. Had four carries for 27 yards, caught a pass for 12 yards.
- Allen to Samuel again, this time for 33 yards down the right side. First and goal from the Washington 10. Allen is 5-5 for 73 yards and a touchdown.
- Allen rolls left, hits DJ Moore for a 13-yard touchdown. Moore wide open.
- Slye with another PAT. Panthers lead 14-0, 5:18 left in first quarter. Drive was six plays, 55 yards, 3:09 of clock.
- Derrius Guice bends an inside run left to right for 60 yards. First and 10 Washington from the Carolina 11.
- Panthers keep Washington out of the end zone. Hopkins with a 25-yard field goal for Washington, now 14-3 Carolina with 3:09 left in first quarter. Drive was six plays, 68 yards, 2:09
- Ponder this: Washington has -3 yards on seven plays and that includes Guice's 60-yard run.
- The first quarter comes to an end with Allen being sacked by Montez Sweat and Jonathan Allen. Loss of seven yards, will be fourth and 22 from Carolina 25.
END OF FIRST QUARTER
Panthers 14, Washington 3
- Allen 8 of 10 for 106 yards and two touchdowns during the first quarter. Washington's Dwayne Haskins 3 of 5 for five yards.
- Quinn receives punt and tackled at the Washington 35. First and 10 Washington.
- Gerald McCoy limping off. Bad news for an already thin defensive line.
- Interception by Panthers under review.
- Meanwhile in Baltimore ...
- No interception. Washington ball, 2nd and 10 at Carolina's 26. There's 12:08 left in the first half. Review and ruling came only after Carolina's DBs did their group pic celebration behind the end zone.
- Hopkins makes a 43-yard field goal, cuts Carolina lead to 14-6 with 11:16 remaining in the first half. Drive was nine plays, 41 yards, and took up 3:35 game clock.
- Gerald McCoy questionable to return due to ankle injury.
- Carolina punts. Trey Quinn receives it at the Washington 35 and is blown up by Carolina's DeAndrew White while making a fair catch. It's a viscous helmet-to-helmet hit but White is only flagged for interference. First and 10 for Washington from the 50.
- Addison with a sack on third down. Washington punts, pins Carolina at its own 1-yard line. There's 5:24 left in the first half.
- Fabian Moreau picks off Allen and returns it 10 yards to the Carolina 2-yard line. First and goal Washington. Allen's 10th interception this season against 13 touchdown passes.
- Quinn being evaluated for a concussion.
- Guice from a yard out, Washington misses two-point conversion to leave it 14-12 Carolina with 4:33 remaining in first half.
- We have a Greg Olsen sighting. Allen hits him on left side for 8 yards, first down Carolina at its 35. Olsen has been targeted twice, catching both for 14 yards.
- Allen sacked on next play by Ioannidis for a loss of eight.
- Carolina punting after two-minute warning. Christian McCaffrey has one touch this quarter, a short pass for 3 yards on third down just before the two-minute warning. His last touch before that came when there was 1:07 left in the first quarter.
- Haskins with a bullet over the middle to Harmon for 20 yards. First and 10 Washington at the Carolina 28, 38 seconds left in the half. Washington calls timeout.
- Haskins to Thompson on the right side for 15 yards to the Carolina 13. Washington timeout, 32 seconds left in the half.
- Carolina with pressure, Irvin forces Haskins to fumble but Chase Roullier covers it up for Washington after 7-yard loss. Sack for Irvin. Second and 19 from the Carolina 22, 20 second left.
- Pass interference on Washington. Trying 49-yard field goal.
- Kick blocked. Clock expires.
Panthers 14, Redskins 12
- Major momentum swing in second quarter as Washington scored 12 unanswered points while Carolina offense went stagnant. Carolina was 0-3 on third-down conversions and Christian McCaffrey had only one touch in the second quarter.
- Run defense again an issue for Carolina. Washington has gross 90 yards rushing, 60 of which came on Guice's 60-yard run.
- McCoy came back, played one snap and then went to the sideline to ice his ankle. Not good news for an already banged-up defensive line.
- Neither team has done a good job of protecting its quarterback -- or maybe both teams are going a good job of rushing the passer. Either way, Carolina has given up four sacks for 38 yards while bringing Haskins down three times for 30 yards.
- Wind could be a factor if the game remains close. At halftime, it's blowing 17 miles per hour out of the southwest -- or basically directly across the field from the Panthers' bench to Washington's sideline.
- Washington football to start second half.
- Washington drives to the Carolina 9 in 10 plays, before McCoy -- who's back in the lineup -- sacks Haskins for a 9-yard loss on third down.
- Hopkins makes a 36-yard field goal. Drive was 10 plays, 57 yards, 5:35. Washington takes first lead, 15-14, with 8:33 remaining in the third quarter.
- Panthers gain one yard, go three and out. Stadium isn't pleased.
- Washington punts, DJ Moore fields it at the Carolina one-yard line and returns it to the 18. There's 6:35 left in the third quarter.
- Allen to Samuel on the left side for 16 yards. First down at the Carolina 39.
- Allen to Olsen running across left to right, personal foul called on Ryan Anderson who's ejected. Eight-yard completion, 15-yard penalty. Panthers ball at the Washington 43, 4:25 left in third quarter. Olsen in the tent being checked out after he was helped off the field
- Handoff right side to McCaffrey. Five-yard gain. That was McCaffrey's 14th touch of the game -- his season-low is 18 (twice this season).
- Dunbar nearly picks off a weak Allen pass intended for Moore. Fourth down, Panthers punting -- after delay-of-game penalty. Carolina pins Washington back at its 1-yard line.
- Olsen in concussion protocol, won't be returning. Caught two passes for 14 yards.
- Peterson with a 21-yard gain for Washington. First down from Washington 22.
- Haskins incomplete pass on third down, will punt. Teams are a combined 3-17 on third down.
END OF THIRD QUARTER
Redskins 15, Panthers 14
- Washington putting together a nice drive. Guice up the middle for eight yards to the Carolina 38-yard line. First and 10, 9:40 remaining.
- Guice along left sideline for 37 yards, goes down inside the 1-yard line. First and goal Washington.
- Guice in from 1-yard out to make it 22-14 Washington 9:09 left. Drive was seven plays, 67 yards, 3:42.
- Another three and out for Carolina with 7:39 remaining and down 22-14.
- Washington converts its third third-down opportunity with just less than five minutes remaining. First and 10 from the Carolina 12.
- Peterson from 12 yards out. Washington leads 29-14, 4:26 left. Drive was five plays, 55 yards, 3:04 of game clock. There's 4:26 left to play.
- Meanwhile ...
- Washington has 249 yards rushing, the most allowed by Carolina this season.
- Washington has scored 29 unanswered points since Carolina led 14-0 with 5:18 left in the first quarter.
- Panthers putting together a solid drive, first and 10 at the Washington 22.
- Allen scrambles 17 yards for a touchdown. Drive was 12 plays, 75 yards, 2:35. Washington leads 29-21 with 1:51 left to play.
- Panthers' Jermaine Carter recovers onside kick. FIrst and 10 Panthers at their 48 with 1:51 left.
- Allen to Moore. Gain of 17, first down at the Washington 35.
- Incomplete to McCaffrey on the left side. Second and 10, 1:25 left.
- Allen to Thomas over the middle, six-yard gain.
- Allen to Moore for seven yards.
- Allen to Moore for 21. First and goal from the Washington 1-yard line.
- McCaffrey stuffed for 1-yard loss. Second down.
- McCaffrey tackled in the backfield. Another loss of one. Timeout Carolina. Will be third down from the 3-yard line.
- Allen incomplete to Moore near the goalpost. Fourth and goal from the 3.
- Allen staggers around under pressure, loses ball at the 30.
- Haskins kneels. Game over.
Redskins 29, Panthers 21.