Skip to main content

Kemoy Campbell, a Jamaican Olympian and professional distance runner for Reebok, is awake and in stable condition in the ICU at New York Presbyterian/ Columbia University Hospital, his family announced in a statement on Tuesday morning.

Campbell collapsed shortly after stepping off the track whie pacing during the men's 3,000 meters at the Millrose Games in New York City on Saturday afternoon.

Campbell was reportedly unconscious for a few minutes before emergency responders arrived and used a defibrillator to revive him.

After about 20 minutes, New York City Police and Fire Department officials arrived on the scene to provide medical attention. Campbell was taken off the track on a stretcher and taken to New York-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center, where he was sedated and underwent testing.

News that Campbell was “doing better” and “smiling” was first reported by on Monday night. On Tuesday morning his family issued the following statement:

"As of this morning, Kemoy is in stable condition in the ICU at New York Presbyterian/ Columbia University Hospital. Thank you to everyone for your continued support. Kemoy is awake and talking. Please continue to keep him in your thoughts and prayers. Kemoy will continue to be monitored and recover at the hospital for the foreseeable time. In order for Kemoy to continue receiving the best care and to offset mounting medical costs, we are asking for donations to help support him and his family during this challenging time. Any donation made to help Kemoy on his road to recovery is greatly appreciated. Kemoy and his family are very grateful for the overwhelming support and outreach. The Campbell family would also like to express their gratitude for the team of doctors at New York Presbyterian/ Columbia University Hospital and the quick response of The Armory's on-site medical professionals and doctors who assisted Kemoy and for the outpouring of support from the track and field community."

Matt O'Toole, Reebok's President, issued a statement to Sports Illustrated on Tuesday afternoon that the sportswear company will be donating $50,000 to assist with medical expenses.

"Kemoy is an important part of the Reebok family, and we are so happy to hear that he is making great progress," O'Toole said. "As part of our family, we will stand behind him and support him in his recovery. We are making a contribution of $50,000 to help with his medical expenses.”

Campbell's brother, Shaq, shared a video to Instagram of Campbell walking in the hospital on Wednesday morning. Campbell shared the following statement:

"I really didn’t know how to start this caption and while I started writing, tears flowed from my eyes. I realize that I’m either very luck, or someone was watching out for me Saturday. I cry because I know what the people who truly care about me went through and when I heard my dad’s voice on the phone I couldn’t stop crying. I heard the shock, saddness, pain, and relief all at once. For those who don’t know me, I push myself hard in practice and give nothing but my best in whatever I’m doing. As athletes we train to push our bodies beyond its normal limits. Until my heart stopped at Millrose Games on Saturday, I don’t remember any of it and I know there are videos around, but I don’t need to see them.. It’s been tough not physically, but mentally, it has been a battle. Anyway, for those who care, I am recovering. I walked yesterday for the time and I was a little dizzy, but pushed through with the help of the PTs. Most of all though, I want to thank everyone who donated to help me get back track. I love you all."

Campbell competed in the 5,000 meters at the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro. He finished 10th in the 5,000 meters at the 2017 IAAF World Championships in London.