WWE wrestler Jordan Myles said in a profane Twitter live stream Wednesday that he has quit the company.
Myles (real name Albert Hardie Jr.) blasted the company as “racist” in the video.
“As of today, I’d like to officially announce that I quit f---ing WWE,” he said in the since-deleted video. “I am no longer an employee. I refuse to work for racists. I f---ing quit. F--- them. I hate that f---ing company and everything they f---ing stand for. All they ever did was f---ing hold our f---ing people back. I do this s--- for the culture. I don’t need anyone’s f---ing permission to do what I want to do. Screw Jordan Myles. Don’t ever call me by that slave name. Call me ACH and don’t forget the super, b----. F--- you. I quit.”
Hardie has since deleted his Twitter account.
Hardie first publicly expressed displeasure with WWE late last month when he spoke out against a t-shirt WWE had designed for him. Hardie described the shirt, which featured the name of his character styled to look like a toothy smile framed by big red lips, as “a slap in the face to EVERY African American performer, fan, and supporter.”
Hardie sent numerous tweets on the topic, including screenshots of an email exchange with a WWE employee saying WWE executive Paul “Triple H” Levesque wanted the design to be “more teethy.” (Hardie said he approved the concept because it had been shown to him on a grey shirt, not the black shirt that was eventually made available for sale.) Hardie also posted and deleted a video in which he said “WWE doesn’t care about black people” and flashed a middle finger.
Hardie had been absent from the WWE Performance Center in Florida for several weeks at the time of his initial comments, reportedly on a non-injury-related medical leave.