By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The NBA off-season is in a lull with training camp set to start in a month and a half, and there are very few notable free agents remaining. One of those free agents is expected to come off the market soon, as the Cleveland Cavaliers have extended a multi-year offer to guard J.R. Smith.
Check out the latest NBA news and rumors below.
• The U.S. men's Olympic basketball team is still the betting favorite to win the gold medal in Rio despite their recent struggles, reports ESPN's Marc Stein.
• The Houston Rockets are interested in trading for Sacramento Kings forward Rudy Gay, reports Steve Kyler of Basketball Insiders.
• Atlanta Hawks center Tiago Splitter will be ready for the start of training camp after hip surgery, reports Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
• The Kings are not expected to reach a contract extension with guard Ben McLemore as he is on the trade block, reports Bobby Marks of The Vertical.
• Los Angeles Lakers center Timofey Mozgov sustained a groin injury while playing for the Russian National team and will be re-evaluated next week, the team announced.
• Boston Celtics point guard Isaiah Thomas said the Celtics' 22 scheduled nationally televised games mean "the NBA knows we're going to be pretty good," according to ESPN's Chris Forsberg.
• Retired point guard Baron Davis is hoping to make a NBA comeback, reports Jesse Dougherty of the Los Angeles Times.