By Brian Rauf, Chat Sports
The NFL Scouting Combine kicks off Tuesday, giving every team a look at the top 300 prospects eligible for the draft. However, teams are also still looking at their current rosters, making cuts and working on in-house contract negotiations ahead of the new league year on March 9.
Check out the latest NFL news and rumors below.
• The New York Jets announced they have released cornerback Antonio Cromartie, freeing up $8 million in cap space.
• Quarterback Brock Osweiler and the Denver Broncos will open contract talks during the NFL Combine this week, reports Mike Klis of 9News.com. Osweiler started seven games for the team in 2015.
• Cleveland Browns center Alex Mack plans to opt out of his contract on March 4, reports NFL Network’s Ian Rapoport.
• Broncos offensive lineman Evan Mathis ripped San Francisco 49ers head coach Chip Kelly in an email, saying Kelly “wasn’t building a championship team” with the Philadelphia Eagles and couldn’t handle “certain personality types.” Mathis played under Kelly in Philadelphia from 2013 to ’14 before being released in 2015.
• The Eagles announced they have signed safety Malcolm Jenkins to a five-year contract extension.
• The Browns are “close” to re-signing wide receiver Travis Benjamin, reports ESPN Cleveland’s Tony Grossi.
• The NFL will return the $120 million it withheld from players over the course of three years, reports The Wall Street Journal’s Matthew Futterman.
• Peyton Manning’s sexual assault accuser called a crisis hotline following the alleged incident at Tennessee in 1996, reports ESPN’s T.J. Quinn.