The Jump Start: Tuesday, January 29
Some links to start your Tuesday ...
• Check out the wave Garrett McNamara surfed yesterday morning in Nazaré, Portgual. Nothing's official yet, but it appears the 45-year-old Hawaiian may have broken his own Guinness world record for largest wave surfed.
• Manti Te'o's interview with Katie Couric gets the auto-tune treatment.
• Does it make you feel old when a Division I basketball player lists Justin Bieber as his favorite singer? (Fourth graf.)
• Lincoln Way North’s Denton Wallace drained an incredible buzzer-beater from the opponent's free throw line, giving his school a 66-63 win over Amos Alonzo Stagg High School.
• Long read of the day: Don't miss Ben McGrath's New Yorker piece on the possibilities for Formula One in the United States. If you don't have a digitial subscription, it'll be out from behind the paywall next week.