Charlotte Flair comments about Ric's current situation.
The best of the Internet, plus musings by SI.com writer, Jimmy Traina. Get the link to a new Traina's Thoughts each day by following on Twitter and liking on Facebook. Catch up on previous editions of Traina Thoughts. And check Jimmy Traina's weekly podcast, "Off The Board," on iTunes, SoundCloud and Stitcher.
1. The details surrounding Ric Flair's current health status are still sketchy, but his manager says surgery, which was not heart-related, was a success.
Ric had surgery today (not❤️related)am happy 2report it was a success.Still a long road ahead so plz keep 🙏🏻4Ric Charlotte Megan David&Wendy— MelindaMorrisZanoni (@LegacyTalentCEO) August 14, 2017
Ric's daughter, and current WWE superstar, Charlotte, also went public with a statement for the first time since news broke that her father was facing a serious medical issue.
WWE stars, past and present, rallied around Flair yesterday, sending tons of get well wishes, via Twitter. Former world champion, Dolph Ziggler, also wrote this first-person appreciation of his mentor, the Nature Boy, for SI.com.
2. Former Packers tight end Jermichael Finley tweeted and then deleted the following nonsense yesterday: “Athletes are looked up to & serve as roll [sic] models, leave personal opinions about race and politics alone. Do what you get paid to do & play!”
Such a tough break to tweet something so ignorant and then get "role models" wrong. Anyway, current Packers tight end, Martellus Bennett, didn't mention Finley by name, but he sent a message loud and clear with these tweets.
They'll cut out your tongue before cutting off your hands, they still need you to work.— Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) August 15, 2017
You can stand on the platform provided to promote products but not promote change to the products of your environments.— Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) August 15, 2017
Coco cola. That's cool. Equality naw bruh. Get his ass down. McDonald's great job let's read that line again. Injustice lll, naw.— Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) August 15, 2017
Who wrote this script this is not what we agreed to. There needs to be a rewrite.— Martellus Bennett (@MartysaurusRex) August 15, 2017
3. I tweeted this yesterday afternoon.
Shortly thereafter, Giancarlo Stanton hit is 22nd home run in 34 games. It was his 43rd of the season, setting a Marlins franchise record. This is how the team celebrated after the game.
4. This is why you don't pick up the phone while watching a TV show.
Rick Hahn called Tyler Clippard to notify him of the trade 35 minutes into Game of Thrones. Clippard has yet to finish the episode.— Jake Kaplan (@jakemkaplan) August 14, 2017
5. The Cubs used an extreme shift against Reds first baseman, Joey Votto, last night, by getting rid of an infielder and using four outfielders. Votto doubled anyway.
6. North Carolina protesters pulled down a Confederate solider statue yesterday. Enter the Jim Ross treatment.
7. RANDOM WRESTLING VIDEO OF THE DAY: Randy Savage, Shawn Michaels, Razor Ramon and other WWE superstars played in a charity softball game in 1994. The highlights were narrated by Gorilla Monsoon.