Skip to main content

What We Know About Tiger Woods's Car Accident

  • Author:
  • Updated:

Fifteen-time Major champion Tiger Woods was hospitalized on Tuesday following a single-vehicle accident in Los Angeles. Here's what we know about the incident.

Updates from Wednesday, Feb. 24

The day after Woods' crash, Los Angeles County Sheriff Alex Villanueva said the incident was "purely an accident" during a news conference providing updates on the department's investigation into the crash. No criminal charges will be filed, as there were no signs that Woods was impaired.

Later on Wednesday, Villanueva told CNN that, when questioned at the hospital, Woods had "no recollection" of the crash occurring.

What Happened Tuesday Morning?

The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said in a statement Tuesday that at around 7:12 a.m. PT, police responded to a single-vehicle rollover crash on the border of Rolling Hills Estates and Rancho Palos Verdes near Los Angeles. 

According to the Los Angeles Times, Woods was traveling at a high rate of speed and lost control of the vehicle before crossing the center divider. Chris Thomas, a representative of the Los Angeles County Fire Department, told ESPN's Mark Schlabach that rescue personnel had to extract Woods from the windshield of the SUV.

Woods, 45, was the lone occupant of the vehicle.

Per the L.A. Times, his SUV rolled over multiple times before coming to a halt. 

Another car, which had stopped on the side of the road to assist Woods shortly after the accident, was also struck by another vehicle coming over the hill. Thomas said the latter incident was a minor traffic incident with no injuries.

In a news conference Tuesday evening, Alex Villanueva of the L.A. County Sheriff's Department said Woods first appeared to make contact with the median and then went across two southbound lanes. The car landed several hundred feet from the road, hitting a curb and trees as it rolled multiple times. A prybar and ax were used to remove Woods from the windshield. 

Villanueva said it could take days to weeks to complete the investigation into the crash. 

How Badly Was Tiger Hurt?

Immediately following the crash, he was transported to Harbor-UCLA Medical Center. Deputy Carlos Gonzalez, who was first to arrive on the scene, said Woods was calm and able to identify himself. Woods was determined to be in serious but stable condition. He was wearing his seatbelt and there was no evidence of impairment, Villanueva said.

Woods underwent a lengthy surgical procedure on his lower right leg and ankle, according to a statement he released late Tuesday night via Twitter

Dr. Anish Mahajan, the Chief Medical Officer and Interim CEO at Harbor-UCLA Medical Center that the golfer suffered "significant orthopedic injuries," which were treated with "emergency surgery." 

SI Recommends

"Comminuted open fractures affecting both the upper and lower portions of the tibia and fibula bones were stabilized by inserting a rod into the tibia," Mahajan said in a statement. "Additional injuries to the bones of the foot and ankle were stabilized with a combination of screws and pins. Trauma to the muscle and soft tissue of the leg required surgical release of the covering of the muscles to relieve pressure due to swelling." 

According to the statement, Woods is "awake, responsive, and recovering in his hospital room." 

Why Was Tiger in California?

According to Golf Digest, Woods was in California for a two-day content shoot with Golf Digest/GOLFTV after serving as a host for the PGA Tour's Genesis Invitational over the weekend. 

Over the weekend, he briefly appeared on CBS's broadcast of the Genesis Invitational, marking his last public appearance before Tuesday's accident. He told CBS's Jim Nantz that it was unclear when he would return to action after needing his fifth back surgery this past December. 

On Monday, Woods was spotted alongside former NBA star Dwyane Wade and actor David Spade at Rolling Hills Country Club, giving the celebrities on-course lessons.

According to Golf Digest, Woods was "in good spirits on Monday," but did not arrive to the course for the second day of the shoot. According to ESPN and KTLA, Woods was on his way to shoot with Chargers quarterback Justin Herbert and Saints quarterback Drew Brees on Tuesday.

How Has the Golf World Reacted?

Justin Thomas, a close friend of Woods's on the PGA Tour, addressed the accident on Tuesday saying he was "sick to my stomach."

Thomas, speaking at a press conference in the lead-up to the Workday Championship that begins later this week, said that "It hurts to see one of your closest friends gets in an accident.”

“Man, I just hope he’s all right,” Thomas said. “I’m just worried for his kids, I’m sure they’re struggling.”

Jay Monahan, the PGA Tour commissioner, said in a statement on Tuesday  that he was aware of the crash. “We are awaiting further information when he comes out of surgery,” Monahan said. “On behalf of the PGA Tour and our players, Tiger is in our prayers and will have our full support as he recovers.”

Jack Nicklaus, the lone golfer whom Woods trails in the sport's Major championship ranks, said in a tweet that "We want to offer him our heartfelt support and prayers at this difficult time. Please join us in wishing Tiger a successful surgery and all the best for a full recovery."

Bryson DeChambeau, who has been a frequent practice partner of Woods, also took to Twitter. “Heartbroken and shocked to hear about Tiger Woods accident today. My thoughts and prayers are with him for a full recovery.”

Others from the golf world, including Rickie Fowler, Ian Poulter and Adam Scott, also voiced their support for Woods.

News of Woods's crash, though, extended far beyond the golf world as athletes from all across the sports world show their support for Woods in his recovery.