Catch up on the latest rumors, news and notes as the MLB trade deadline approaches.
Major League Baseball is nearing the trade deadline. Teams have until Aug. 1 to acquire players for the stretch run or to trade away veterans in preparation for the future.
Plenty of big names are expected to be involved in trades in the coming weeks. The Cubs, who struggled heading into the All-Star break, could be on the market for some pitching, dangling their young prospects as bait. The Yankees, meanwhile, could be sellers as they fall behind in the AL East race.
Some of the more recognizable names rumored amid the trade block include Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman, Carlos Beltran, Jay Bruce and Jonathan Lucroy.
Follow this page to remain up-to-date on the latest rumors from around the league.
• The Yankees and Cubs are working on a deal that would send closer Aroldis Chapman to Chicago in exchange for the Cubs’ top prospect, High A shortstop Gleyber Torres, and likely a secondary piece. (Jon Heyman, Today’s Knuckleball)
• The Padres are pushing hard to trade catcher Derek Norris, in addition to Andrew Cashner. (Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports)
• The Diamondbacks have told teams that pitcher Shelby Miller is available on the trade market. (Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports)
• The Orioles are looking at Padres outfielder Melvin Upton and pitcher Andrew Cashner. (Ken Rosenthal, Fox Sports)
• The Blue Jays have also inquired about Upton and Cashner. (Ken Rosenthal, Fox Sports)
• The Texas Rangers are making a serious push to trade for White Sox pitcher Chris Sale. Chicago would at least want Joey Gallo Jurickson Profar in return. (TR Sullivan, MLB.com)
• The Chicago White Sox are willing to sell before the deadline, but don't seem likely to trade Sale of Jose Quintana. However, the team is willing to listen to offers for the pitchers. (Jon Heyman, Today’s Knuckleball)
• Teams that have shown interest in Jay Bruce are also looking at Athletics outfielder Josh Reddick. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)