Here are the latest MLB rumors, injury news and possible trade talks.
The second half of the MLB season is underway and rumors are already starting to fly about deals that could be made with one week before the non-waiver trade deadline on July 31.
As teams scramble to get a foothold of their positions in their respective divisions, injuries have already derailed some teams potential at a postseason berth.
So far, the White Sox appear to be the biggest sellers so far trading Jose Quintana to the Cubs and dealing Todd Frazier, David Robertson and Tommy Kahnle to Yankees.
Check out the latest news and rumors from around the league.
Rumors and News
• Eduardo Nunez has been traded from the San Fransisco Giants to the Boston Red Sox. Nunez is batting .308 with 4 homers and 31 RBIs on the year. (Ken Rosenthal, FOX)
• The Giants would be willing to hear offers for starting pitchers Johnny Cueto and Jeff Samardzija. Both have had difficult years—Cueto has a 4.59 ERA while Samardzija is 5.05—and with San Francisco headed for its worst season in years, holding on to the veteran pitchers doesn't make much sense. (Buster Olney, ESPN)
• The Nationals have been active in acquiring bullpen help, but the starting rotation is still lacking apart from the three-headed monster of Max Scherzer, Gio Gonzalez and Stephen Strasburg. Strasburg left his last outing due to forearm stiffness, but with his injury history, that might be reason for concern. (Bob Nightengale, USA Today)
• The Rangers may be reconsidering their stance on trading Yu Darvish but only for the "right deal." Potential suitors were contacted on Monday by general manager Jon Daniels. The Rangers still expect to remain in the American League wild-card picture. Darvish is expected to start on Wednesday against the Miami Marlins. On Monday night, it appeared that the Rangers were leaning towards keeping Darvish, according to a report by MLB.com. The Dogers are among the teams very interested in Darvish. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN)
• The Yankees and Brewers appear to be the strongest contenders for Athletics starter Sonny Gray. The Nationals are also prepared to deal for Gray, who Gray is slated to start Tuesday vs. the Blue Jays. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)
• The Mets are receiving high interest in pitcher Addison Reed, middle infielder Asdrubal Cabrera and first baseman Lucas Duda. (Mark Feinsand, MLB.com)
• The Mets signed right-handed pitcher Jonathan Albaladejo on a minor league deal. (Marc Carig, Newsday)
• The Washington Nationals, Los Angeles Dodgers and Boston Red Sox are among the teams interested in Phillies reliever Pat Neshek. (Mark Feinsand, MLB.com) giving general man
• Cardinals starter Lance Lynn is “the topic of ongoing discussions with other teams about a trade." (Derrick Goold, St. Louis Post-Dispatch)
• The A’s are focused on receiving young centerfielders in return for Sonny Gray. The Yankees remain interested in Gray, with New York prospect Estevan Florial drawing Oakland’s eye. (Jon Morosi, MLB Network/Buster Olney, ESPN)
• Los Angeles Dodgers placed pitcher Clayton Kershaw on the 10-day disabled list with a low back strain.
• Seattle Mariners transferred pitcher Hisashi Iwakuma from the 10-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list with inflammation in right shoulder.
• Texas Rangers placed pitcher Tyson Ross on the 10-day disabled list with a blister on right index finger.
• New York Mets placed pitcher Zack Wheeler on the 10-day disabled list with a streaa reaction in right arm. Move is retroactive to July 23.
• Los Angeles Dodgers placed pitcher Brandon McCarthy on the 10-day disabled list with blister on right third finger. Move is retroactive to July 21.
• Boston Red Sox transferred pitcher Robbie Ross Jr. from the 10-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list with Left elbow inflammation.