The Patriots took a big step forward in their second year after Tom Brady’s departure, with rookie quarterback Mac Jones taking over as the team’s starter in his first NFL season. New England went 10–7, but lost big to the division rival Bills in the wild-card round of the playoffs.
Now, Bill Belichick and the front office looks to surround Jones with some more talent through the 2022 NFL draft, after focusing on free agency a year ago.
The team made one fairly big move to the pre-draft front in the offseason, trading within the AFC East to acquire wide receiver DeVante Parker from the Dolphins. The team entered Thursday’s draft with nine picks that included a selection at No. 21.
However, Kansas City made a trade with New England. The Chiefs secured the Patriots’ No. 21 pick. In return, New England received the No. 29, No. 94 and No. 121 picks
Here is how the Patriots’ draft has turned out thus far (to be updated during NFL draft):
- Round 1, Pick 29 (from 49ers via Dolphins and Chiefs): Cole Strange, G, Chattanooga
- Round 2, Pick 50 (from Dolphins via Chiefs): Tyquan Thornton, WR, Baylor
- Round 3, Pick 85: Marcus Jones, CB, Houston
- Round 4, Pick 121 (from Dolphins via Chiefs): Jack Jones, CB, Arizona State
- Round 4, Pick 127: Pierre Strong Jr., RB, South Dakota State
- Round 4, Pick 137 (from Rams via Texans and Panthers): Bailey Zappe, QB, Western Kentucky
- Round 6, Pick 183 (from Texans): Kevin Harris, RB, South Carolina
- Round 6, Pick 200: Sam Roberts, DT, Northwest Missouri State
- Round 6, Pick 210 (from Rams): Chasen Hines, OL, LSU
- Round 7, Pick 245 (from Cowboys via Texans): Andrew Stueber, OL, Michigan
The 2022 NFL draft begins with the first round on Thursday, April 28 at 8 p.m. ET. The second and third rounds take place on Friday, beginning at 7 p.m. Rounds four through seven take place on Saturday, beginning at Noon.
More NFL Coverage:
- 2022 NFL Mock Draft: Fantasy Picks Only 2.0
- Rachaad White’s Incredible Journey to the NFL Draft
- Mailbag: Where Will the NFL Draft’s Top Tackles Land?
- Patriots Country: NFL Mock Draft: Patriots Find New Cornerback at 21?
For more New England Patriots coverage, go to Patriots Country.