Saquon Barkley: Still a Version of 26 People Haven't Seen

In this story:
New York Giants running back Saquon Barkley would love nothing more than to get a new multiyear contract from the team so he doesn't have to play on the franchise tag in 2023.
But Barkley is also aware of where things stand as far as the calendar, and he echoed head coach Brian Daboll, and general manager Joe Schoen's sentiments expressed earlier in the week.
“Where do I stand with the Giants right now? It’s like what someone said the other day … it’s still April,” Barkley said in an interview with The Morning Call (subscription required).
“I haven’t had conversations with Joe [Schoen] too much. So the best way I can handle it is to keep working."
Schoen sounded frustrated with Barkley's situation when he spoke to reporters Thursday during his annual draft preview press conference.
"Nothing's changed since we talked at the owner's meetings," Schoen told reporters, adding that he hasn't spoken with Barkley for about three or four weeks. "There's nothing new. I haven't talked to him."
Because he's not under contract, Barkley cannot report to the team's facility to work out with his teammates unless he signs the tag or a participation waiver agreement, neither of which makes sense for him to do at this juncture.
Barkley, who visited the Temple/St. Luke’s Medical School in Fountain Hill Thursday night, didn't sound like a man planning to skip the upcoming season. When he hasn't been doing his own training, he has shown up at workouts organized by quarterback Daniel Jones around the country so that he can deliver the best version of himself this coming season.
With good reason. After having a comeback type of season last year in which he put to rest any questions about his string of injuries (including a torn ACL) that affected him for the two seasons prior, Barkley believes that he can be even better than the version who last year notched career-highs in rushing yardage (1,312) and carries (295).
“There’s still a version of 26 that a lot of people haven’t seen,” Barkley said.
The Giants and Barkley have until July 17 to work out a long-term deal. Absent that happening, Barkley's only other options are to sit out the season--and again, it doesn't sound like that's in his thinking--or to sign and play on the $10.1 million franchise tag.
"Whatever happens, happens. There are things I can’t really control right now," he said. "All I can control is how I will wake up every morning and stay with my goals and my passion. Even though I may not be with the team right now and not in the building, I don’t think anyone with the Giants is concerned about my work ethic, and my teammates aren’t worried about how I’m preparing.”
- Get the latest breaking news and analysis on the New York Giants
- Follow and like us on Facebook
- Submit your questions for our mailbag
- Check out the Giants Country YouTube Channel.
- Subscribe and like the LockedOn Giants YouTube Channel
- Sign up for our FREE message board forums
- Get your Giants tickets from SI Tickets!

Patricia Traina has covered the New York Giants for 30+ seasons, and her work has appeared in multiple media outlets, including The Athletic, Forbes, Bleacher Report, and the Sports Illustrated media group. As a credentialed New York Giants press corps member, Patricia has also covered five Super Bowls (three featuring the Giants), the annual NFL draft, and the NFL Scouting Combine. She is the author of The Big 50: The Men and Moments that Made the New York Giants. In addition to her work with New York Giants On SI, Patricia hosts the Locked On Giants podcast. Patricia is also a member of the Pro Football Writers of America and the Football Writers Association of America.
Follow Patricia_Traina