The Saints may not be big players in free agency this season, given the amount of work they've put in to get under the salary cap, trimming nearly $100 million. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing. Essentially, they were able to navigate their situation and do what they needed to do without having to hand out new money.
Now, they'll monitor how things shape up across the league with player movement and see where they can make additions to their team for the new year. Before we do that, let's take a look at the free agent classes by year the team has brought in under Sean Payton when he started way back in 2006.
- 2020: Emmanuel Sanders, Malcolm Jenkins, Michael Burton, Deatrick Nichols, Jameis Winston, Margus Hunt, James Hurst, Ty Montgomery
- 2019: Jared Cook, Nick Easton, Marcus Sherels, Mario Edwards Jr., Malcom Brown, Latavius Murray
- 2018: Benjamin Watson, Jermon Bushrod, Tom Savage, Demario Davis, Patrick Robinson, George Johnson, Kurt Coleman
- 2017: A.J. Klein, Larry Warford, Manti Te’o, Ted Ginn Jr., Adrian Peterson, Chase Daniel, Alex Okafor
- 2016: James Laurinaitis, Nick Fairley, Craig Robertson, Nathan Stupar, Erik Harris, Josh Scobee, Coby Fleener
- 2015: C.J. Spiller, Brandon Browner, Kyle Wilson, Anthony Spencer, Joe Morgan
- 2014: Marcus Ball, Jairus Byrd, Jonathan Goodwin, Champ Bailey, Erik Lorig
- 2013: Keenan Lewis, Benjamin Watson, Victor Butler, Jim Leonhard
- 2012 (Payton suspended): Curtis Lofton, Ben Grubbs, Chris Chamberlain, David Hawthorne, Brodrick Bunkley, Rafael Bush, Elbert Mack
- 2011: Darren Sproles, Shaun Rogers, Aubrayo Franklin, Will Herring, Olin Kreutz, John Kasay, Korey Hall, John Gilmore, Turk McBride
- 2010: Clint Ingram, Alex Brown, Jimmy Wilkerson
- 2009: Darren Sharper, Jabari Greer, Heath Evans, Dan Campbell, Anthony Hargrove, Paul Spicer, Pierson Prioleau, Darnell Dinkins
- 2008: Randall Gay, Aaron Glenn, Mark Brunell, Dan Morgan, Bobby McCray
- 2007: Jason David, Troy Evans, David Patten, Dhani Jones, Kendrick Clancy, Eric Johnson, Kevin Kaesviharn, Brian Simmons
- 2006: Drew Brees, Scott Fujita, Mark Campbell, Omar Stoutmire, Terrance Copper, Curtis Deloatch, Danny Clark, Billy Miller, Anthony Simmons, Rob Petitti, Chris Horn, Tommy Polley, Jay Foreman
It's important to note that free agency doesn't end after just a few days, but the vast majority of moves get made within the first two weeks of the new league year. As we've already witnessed, it's been a chaotic couple of days already across the league with player movement. The Saints have only made one move, as of Wednesday morning, but this figures to be a season where they go in the bargain bin for players. Be sure to keep up with our free agency tracker.