Kobe Bryant says he might not be ready to play until December. (Andrew D. Bernstein/NBAE/Getty Images)
Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant admitted Wednesday that he might not be ready for the start of the NBA season, but says he is aiming to return to game action at some point in November or December after having surgery in April for a torn left Achilles tendon.
Bryant said Wednesday he's fully mobile but still is unable to run. Bryant said earlier this month that he hoped to return when next season starts.
“I’m shooting for November, December, latest- that’s my goal in my head, that’s what. I’m shooting for. I’m really, really determined about getting there," Bryant told ESPN Radio. " You know, I wont have any fear or any worry about the tendon rupturing again, I mean there’s nothing I can do about it, if it goes again, it goes again. But once I’m ready to go, it’s on.”
Bryant was injured in the Lakers’ 118-116 win over the Golden State Warriors on April 12 after falling to the court in the fourth quarter while attempting to drive to his left past Warriors guard Harrison Barnes on the perimeter.
The normal recovery timetable for such an injury is six to nine months and a December return would slot right into the middle of that timeline.
Bryant, 34, is under contract for one more season with the Lakers and is scheduled to make $30 million in 2013-14.