Report: Aroldis Chapman trade held up over domestic violence allegations
The trade of Cincinnati Reds closer Aroldis Chapman to the Los Angeles Dodgers is on hold, according to multiple reports, after domestic violence allegations against the hard-throwing reliever were detailed in a story published on Monday night by Yahoo Sports’ Tim Brown and Jeff Passan.
According to police reports obtained by Yahoo, Chapman allegedly choked his girlfriend, pushed her against a wall and fired eight gunshots in his garage during an argument at his home in Florida in late October. Chapman was not arrested, and no charges were filed him. Chapman’s attorney denied the allegations when speaking with Yahoo; an MLB spokesman said that the league is investigating the incident.
Reports emerged Monday morning that the Dodgers and Reds had a deal in place that would send Chapman to Los Angeles in exchange for two prospects. Mark Sheldon of MLB.com reported later Monday that the deal was not done. Reds president of baseball operations Walt Jocketty said Monday night that any potential Chapman trade could be delayed by several weeks.
According to the Boston Globe's Alex Speier, the Boston Red Sox had been pursuing a trade for Chapman last month before learning of the allegations. Boston instead acquired Craig Kimbrel in a trade with the Padres.
Back in August, MLB introduced a domestic violence policy that leaves potential punishments up to the discretion of commissioner Rob Manfred, regardless of whether or not criminal action has been taken against the offending player. Chapman, meanwhile, is not the first player to be accused of violent behavior this off-season: Colorado Rockies shortstop Jose Reyes was arrested last month on domestic abuse charges, and Dodgers outfielder Yasiel Puig was involved in a fight at a nightclub late last month that may have involved his sister and is reportedly being investigated by the league.
- Dan Gartland