Wednesday August 27th, 2014

A judge granted former New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez’s request to suppress evidence from electronics taken from his home in a search during a murder investigation, reports the Associated Press.

Just last month, it was reported Bristol Superior Court Judge E. Susan Garsh denied Hernandez’s lawyers attempt to suppress evidence. 

Police at the time were investigating the June 2013 shooting death of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd, who was dating the sister of Hernandez's fiancee.

In this latest request, Garsh said police were not entitled to take two cell phones and three iPads from the home because they weren’t specifically listed in a search warrant.

Hernandez is charged with the murder of Lloyd and other related weapons charges. He currently in jail awaiting trial, which is set to begin in January. 

Hernandez is separately charged with killing two men in South Boston in July 2012. Prosecutors in that case said Hernandez followed the two victims after one of them spilled his drink on Hernandez after bumping into him at a club. 

He has pleaded not guilty in both cases.

- Scooby Axson

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.