Sour Rankings: Penn catches TD pass, Redskins fan struggles with paper bag
The updated Power Rankings arrive on Wednesday. But first, the Sour Rankings take a spin through the worst of the past week in the NFL …
10. The Texans-Jaguars crowd: Rain, cooler temperatures (at least for the area) and a 2-10 football team do not add up to a packed stadium. So by the start of the second half Sunday, there were a few good seats available in Jacksonville.
9. The Jets' first play: By Geno Smith's standards, Sunday's game in Minnesota was actually a decent day. New York's starter-turned-backup-turned-starter threw for 254 yards and helped rally his team back from four separate deficits to force overtime against the Vikings. Of course, the Jets still lost, with Smith's first pass of the day serving as a bad omen.
Nice catch by Penn, though.
7. Not cool, Saints fan: There was plenty for the New Orleans faithful to be riled up about Sunday, from their team's humiliating 41-10 loss to Carolina -- the Saints' fourth straight home defeat -- to the brawl between the teams. There is not, however, any excuse for this behavior:
The flying object looks to be an aluminum Miller Lite bottle, which could have done some serious damage had it connected with either official pictured.
"I’ve never seen anybody throw a beer from the top row. Where were we at? It looked like the WWE or something. It was crazy," current Carolina (and former New Orleans) safety Roman Harper said, according to the Charlotte Observer. "I know the fans are better than that and I would expect better from them. That could’ve hit somebody."
6. The Texans' assistant coach: In general, colliding with any NFL player is ill-advised, particularly if said player is wearing pads and running full speed. A member of Houston's staff learned that lesson the hard way Sunday when Arian Foster trucked him on the sideline.
5. London Fletcher vs. Jim Haslett: A longtime linebacker for the Redskins, Fletcher now serves as a co-host for CBS Sports Network's That Other Pregame Show. Before Sunday's action began he pulled no punches in placing blame for Washington's lost season on defensive coordinator Jim Haslett.
"He is a guy that does not know what he is doing," a heated Fletcher added. "Jay Gruden in particular better watch his back and get Jim Haslett out of the door. ... Jay Gruden better get him out the door because he’s probably back-stabbing Jay Gruden like he did everybody else -- like he did to Scott Linehan in St. Louis and like he did to Mike Shanahan in Washington."
Haslett responded to Fletcher's comments after Sunday's game, via the Washington Post:
"I just heard what London said and all I’ll say is I’m disappointed in his reaction. Obviously, he has an opinion, but I’m disappointed that he would come out and say something like. But, every man has an opinion, and he obviously stated his."
4. Jim Harbaugh's tooth: As if the weekend was not already tough enough on the 49ers, who saw their playoff hopes all but die at the hands of Oakland, their head coach was dealing with a bit of a dental issue Sunday.
Jim Harbaugh’s bonded tooth (a chip originally knocked out during his playing days) broke off while he was eating last night.— Matt Maiocco (@MaioccoCSN) December 7, 2014
Gonna need a good dental plan on that next contract.
3. Joseph Fauria's touchdown dance: Fauria became something of an internet legend last season, his touchdown celebrations going so far as to earn praise -- and a $10,000 charity donation -- from Jimmy Fallon. After scoring seven times in 2013, though, Fauria had yet to cross the goal line this season. Until Sunday, that is.
Oh good, there's another angle of it.
2. Von Miller's hat: Does this need any introduction?
Still going to have to score round for George Costanza ...
1. Even a bad season for paper bags: It is a sports tradition -- your team stinks to the point of embarrassment, you wear a paper bag over your head at the game. Washington long ago zoomed past that threshold, so the fans that turned out for Sunday's 24-0 loss to the Rams had every reason to hide their faces.
But this poor fan couldn't even do that...
At least the Rams fan behind him seems to be enjoying things. (GIF via SBNation)