Friday July 24th, 2015

The New Orleans Saints are releasing linebacker Junior Galette, according to multiple reports

Last month, the NFL said it is aware of a video posted in 2013 that appears to show Galette striking multiple people with a belt. Galette’s attorney has denied that Galette was the man shown in the video.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Galette must take and pass a physical this weekend in order to be officially released by the Saints.

In January, Galette was arrested on misdemeanor domestic violence and battery charges. The charges were dropped in February and the woman in the case filed a civil lawsuit the same day. The status of the case is uncertain, as the woman's attorney is no longer representing her and no new attorney has taken the case.

Galette told WWL-TV's Lyons Yellin that he recently met with NFL officials and does not believe he will be disciplined by the league for the January arrest. Yellin reports that the Saints have been considering releasing the linebacker for a while and were exploring their options following the release of the video.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that New Orleans has been frustrated with Galette's situation “for a while.”

BURKE: Ten worst draft classes by team of the Super Bowl era

Galette told The Times Picayune's Evan Woodbery that the Saints decision to release him is “the worst call they've ever made.”

The 27-year-old Galette signed a four-year, $41.5 million contract extension with New Orleans last September. He recorded 45 tackles, 10.0 sacks and three forced fumbles last season.

- Molly Geary

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.