Thursday January 28th, 2016

Swiss attorney general spokesman Andre Marty told German broadcaster ARD that the investigation into FIFA and suspended president Sepp Blatter is making progress after prosecutors obtained new evidence, reports the Daily Mail.

“A witness, a so-called whistleblower, gave us interesting information relevant to the case, which brought us markedly forward in the criminal investigation,” Marty said.

In September, Swiss attorney general Michael Lauber began an criminal investigation against Blatter. Prosecutors allege that Blatter mishandled FIFA money when he made a $2 million payment to UEFA president Michel Platini in 2011 and when he sold undervalued World Cup TV rights to former FIFA vice president Jack Warner.

WAHL: CONCACAF releases reform proposals to be voted on in Zurich

Last month, the FIFA ethics committee banned both Blatter and Platini from all activities relating to world soccer for eight years.

A vote for the new FIFA president is set to take place on February 26. Last week, the UEFA Executive Committee announced its full endorsement for Gianni Infantino to replace Blatter.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.