Down
enlarge
FC Barcelona looks to Neymar to step in for Lionel Messi
1:30 | Planet Futbol
FC Barcelona looks to Neymar to step in for Lionel Messi
Associated Press
Friday September 23rd, 2016

MADRID (AP) — A case into alleged irregularities regarding the transfer of Brazil striker Neymar to Spanish club Barcelona has been reopened, a Madrid court said Friday.

The ruling came less than three months after National Court judge Jose de la Mata shelved the complaint brought by Brazilian investment group DIS against Neymar, his father, former Barcelona president Sandro Rosell and former Santos president Odilio Rodrigues.

Prosecutors appealed and judge Angela Murillo Bordallo ruled that there is still enough evidence to keep the case alive.

The Brazilian investment group was entitled to 40 percent of Neymar's transfer from Brazilian club Santos in 2013, but claimed it received a smaller compensation than it should have because part of the transfer fee was concealed.

Neymar and the other parties being accused by prosecutors have denied wrongdoing. The Barcelona star and his father, who acts as Neymar's agent, appeared at a Madrid court in February to defend themselves.

In June, Barcelona paid a fine of 5.5 million euros ($6.2 million) to settle a separate case brought against the club by Spain's tax authorities. In that agreement, the club acknowledged it made "an error in the fiscal planning of the player's transfer."

Barcelona said the price of Neymar's transfer was 57.1 million euros ($64 million), with Santos receiving 17.1 million euros ($19 million) and a company owned by Neymar's parents 40 million euros ($44 million).

Prosecutors said the total amount paid by the Spanish club to Santos was 25.1 million euros ($28 million), meaning DIS would be entitled to an additional 3.2 million euros ($3.6 million).

Planet Futbol
Barcelona can rely on past experience for coping without injured Messi

Prosecutors said the difference comes from payments made by Barcelona for the future acquisitions of other players, as well as partnerships for friendly matches between the clubs.

According to court documents, DIS paid 5 million reals (1.4 million euros; $1.6 million) for its 40 percent of Neymar's rights in 2009.

Earlier this year, Neymar extended his contract with Barcelona until 2021.

In his first three seasons with the Catalan club, the 24-year-old Neymar scored 85 goals in 141 games, forming a potent strike trio with Lionel Messi and Luis Suarez.

He helped the team win two Spanish leagues, two Copa del Reys, the Champions League, the European Super Cup, the Spanish Super Cup and the Club World Cup.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide - from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Seth Davis, and more - delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.