• The Rays are talking with the Nationals about Adam Dunn. Washington's slugging first baseman has 23 home runs this year and will be a free agent at season's end. The Rays currently lead the AL wild-card race by five games over the Red Sox.
• The Rangers have joined the fray for Prince Fielder. The White Sox and Angels are also interested in acquiring the Brewers' slugging first baseman, who isn't a free agent until after next year and is batting .262 with 24 home runs and 46 RBIs this season. The Brewers, who may still keep Fielder, are seeking young pitching and Texas has an excellent stash of prospects. The Rangers have also checked out Florida's Jorge Cantu, Baltimore's Ty Wigginton and the Cubs' Derrek Lee for their first base needs.
• The Phillies were in discussions with the Indians, likely about a pitcher. The Indians have Jake Westbrook and Fausto Carmona, who are drawing interest. Carmona has a very favorable contract and would require a decent package. Westbrook has a high salary, so he wouldn't take as much in a trade. The Phillies have shown interest in Roy Oswalt and have been considered a favorite. But perhaps the Indians could provide a second option for Philadelphia to get the starter it's looking for. The Cubs' Ted Lilly has also been connected to the Phils. Someone familiar with the Phillies' discussions said that the injury to Shane Victorino may also affect their thinking as to how to proceed.
• The Rockies are among many teams trying for Cantu. The Marlins are listening on a lot of players, but Cantu may be the most likely to go somewhere. The aforementioned Rangers and Giants also interested.
• With Pat Burrell slumping, the Giants are still considering outfielders Scott Podsednik (who has also drawn interest from the Dodgers) and Jose Guillen from the Royals. San Francisco also has an eye on Blue Jays reliever Scott Downs and Mariners reliever Brandon League. The Giants are not giving up any of their starters except in the unlikely event someone takes Barry Zito.
• The Reds are looking for a bat. Both they and the Phillies called about the Brewers about All-Star outfielder Corey Hart, but he's still more likely to stay in MIlwaukee.
• The White Sox are looking for a young third baseman
• Toronto's asking price for Downs is high (at least for in-division deals involving Toronto's fellow AL East members). The Blue Jays asked the Yankees for top catching prospect Jesus Montero and the Red Sox for one of two two prospects, either pitcher Casey Kelly or shortstop Jose Iglesias. The New York Post first reported the Boston names. Downs is 4-5 with a 2.34 ERA and 1.016 WHIP for the Blue Jays this season.
You May Like
Sign Up for our Newsletter
Don't get stuck on the sidelines! Sign up to get exclusives, daily highlights, analysis and more—delivered right to your inbox!