Mets put Cuddyer on disabled list, promote prospect Conforto

NEW YORK (AP) The New York Mets promoted top hitting prospect Michael Conforto from Double-A and put him in the starting lineup Friday night against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The weak-hitting Mets placed outfielder Michael Cuddyer on the 15-day disabled list because of knee trouble.

Conforto, the 10th overall pick in the 2014 draft, batted seventh and played left field.

''We're hoping he's a good fit,'' manager Terry Collins said. ''I told him this is the same game played by people who might be a little bit better but there's a reason you're here - you must be just as good.''

Cuddyer hasn't played since Tuesday because of inflammation in his left knee. The move was made retroactive to Wednesday.

The team didn't have a clear timetable for his return.

''I can't project that,'' general manager Sandy Alderson said. ''We think he needs to get a couple of weeks off his knee and let it calm down.''

The 36-year-old Cuddyer is hitting .250 with eight home runs and 30 RBIs in 82 games. He won the 2013 NL batting title with Colorado, then signed a two-year, $21 million deal with the Mets last November.

The Mets selected Conforto's contract from Double-A Binghamton. He was drafted from Oregon State and began his pro career last summer at Class A.

''Last year around this time, I was just getting started in Brooklyn,'' Conforto said. ''I'm at a loss for words, but I'm excited.''

Conforto was batting .312 with five homers and 26 RBIs in 45 games at Binghamton after beginning the year at high-A St. Lucie.

Conforto started in the All-Star Futures Game this month. He went 2 for 2 and threw a runner out at the plate.

SI Apps
We've Got Apps Too
Get expert analysis, unrivaled access, and the award-winning storytelling only SI can provide—from Peter King, Tom Verducci, Lee Jenkins, Andy Staples, Grant Wahl, and more—delivered straight to you, along with up-to-the-minute news and live scores.