Rule 5 Draft results: Phillies take Rays OF Tyler Goeddel No. 1
The MLB phase of the Rule 5 Draft took place Thursday morning, with teams selecting players from other franchises’ systems.
Players who signed at 18 or younger with five years of professional experience or players who signed at 19 or older with four pro seasons under their belt are eligible, unless protected by being on their organization’s 40-man roster. Rule 5 draftees that stood out last season included Oakland’s Mark Canha and Texas’s Delino DeShields.
Rule 5 mandates that players selected in the Major League phase must remain on the active big-league roster throughout the season that follows. Players cannot be sent to the minors without clearing waivers, and then being offered back to their original team for $25,000 (half the cost of making a selection).
Only teams with room on their 40-man roster can make selections, so the Tigers, Mariners, Red Sox, Diamondbacks, Rays, Indians and Twins did not make any picks. Once teams pass the first time, they can no longer participate in the drafting process.
Teams with one spot remaining (the Braves, Rockies, Orioles, Yankees, Mets, Royals and Cubs) that made selections were then ineligible for the next set of picks.
1. Philadelphia Phillies: Tyler Goeddel, OF (Rays)
2. Cincinnati Reds: Jake Cave, OF (Yankees)
3. Atlanta Braves: Evan Rutckyj, LHP (Yankees)
4. Colorado Rockies: Luis Perdomo, RHP (Cardinals)
5. Milwaukee Brewers: Colin Walsh, 1B (Athletics)
6. Oakland Athletics: Jabari Blash, OF (Mariners)
7. Miami Marlins: Pass
8. San Diego Padres: Josh Martin, RHP (Indians)
9. Chicago White Sox: Pass
10. Baltimore Orioles: Joey Rickard, OF (Rays)
11. Washington Nationals: Pass
12. San Francisco Giants: Pass
13. Los Angeles Angels: Deolis Guerra, RHP (Pirates)
14. Houston Astros: Pass
15. New York Yankees: Pass
16. Texas Rangers: Pass
17. New York Mets: Pass
18. Los Angeles Dodgers: Pass
19. Toronto Blue Jays: Joe Biangini, RHP (Giants)
20. Kansas City Royals: Pass
21. Chicago Cubs: Pass
22. Pittsburgh Pirates: Pass
23. St. Louis Cardinals: Matt Bowman, RHP (Cardinals)
24. Philadelphia Phillies: Daniel Stumpf, LHP (Royals)
25. Cincinnati Reds: Chris O’Grady, LHP (Angels)
26. Milwaukee Brewers: Zack Jones, RHP (Twins)
27. Oakland Athletics: Pass
28. San Diego Padres: Blake Smith, RHP (Padres)
29. Los Angeles Angels: Ji-Man Choi, 1B (Orioles)
30. Toronto Blue Jays: Pass
31. St. Louis Cardinals: Pass
32. Cincinnati Reds: Pass
33. San Diego Padres: Pass
34. Los Angeles Angels: Pass