The latest rumors, news and buzz as the MLB trade deadline approaches.
Major League Baseball’s Aug. 1 trade deadline is rapidly approaching, which means teams are beginning to determine whether they will be buyers or sellers this summer.
The Chicago Cubs, favorites to win this year’s World Series, could dip into their surplus of young talent and flip a prospect for some additional bullpen help. The graying Yankees, meanwhile, may decide to focus on the future and disassemble their elite bullpen to load up on some young talent.
New York’s Andrew Miller, Aroldis Chapman and Carlos Beltran, along with Cincinnati’s Jay Bruce and Milwaukee’s Jonathan Lucroy, are among the top players that could be moved.
Check back on this page for the latest rumors from around the league.
• Strike Zone podcast: Jay Jaffe on All-Star rosters, Matt Harvey
Wednesday (all times Eastern)
• A Deal between the Red Sox and first-round pick Jason Groome is expected to get done. (Alex Speier, Boston Globe)
• The Marlins are looking to upgrade their rotation and have interest in Rich Hill, Jake Odorizzi and Drew Pomeranz. (Barry Jackson, Miami Herald)
• The Padres are willing to talk trades with every player on the team other than Wil Myers. (Jim Bowden, ESPN)
• The Houston Astros are expected to call-up prospect Alex Bergman as early as this weekend. (Jim Bowden, ESPN)