Catch up on the latest rumors, news and notes as the MLB trade deadline approaches.
Major League Baseball is nearing the trade deadline. Teams have until Monday to either acquire players to boost their rosters for the stretch run or trade away veterans in preparation for the future.
Plenty of big names are expected to be involved in trades, and the transactions have started to come through. The Cubs dangled their young prospects as bait to acquire flamethrowing pitcher Aroldis Chapman from the Yankees, who could keep selling as they fall behind in the AL East race.
Some of the more recognizable names rumored to be on the trade block include Andrew Miller, Carlos Beltran, Jay Bruce and Jonathan Lucroy.
Follow this page to remain up-to-date on the latest rumors from around the league.
Thursday (all times Eastern)
• The Mets and Brewers have “re-engaged” discussions about catcher Jonathan Lucroy. (Ken Rosenthal, Fox Sports)
• The Yankees have called the White Sox about Chris Sale. The Rangers are the speculative favorite should he get dealt. (Jon Heyman, Today’s Knuckleball)
• Daniel Hudson may soon be on the move with the Mariners, Indians and Nationals as potential suitors. (Chris Cotillo, SB Nation)
• The Mets are not one of the teams that are in the running for Hudson. (Joel Sherman, New York Post)
• A deal for Hudson is not expected today. (Bob Nightengale, USA Today)
• The Astros are out of the Jonathan Lucroy sweepstakes. (Jerry Crasnick ESPN)
• The Tigers are continuing to evaluate pitching upgrades, despite downplaying the need to replace injured players Jordan Zimmermann, J.D. Martinez and Daniel Norris with a major trade. They have looked at the Phillies’ trade candidates, but could be limited by their budget. (Jon Morosi, Fox Sports)
• The rumors that Eric Hosmer and the Royals are nearing a contract extension are not true. (Jeffrey Flanagan, MLB.com)
• Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy is not in the lineup for Milwaukee’s game against the Diamondbacks. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN)
• Teams have stayed interested in trading for Athletics pitcher Rich Hill despite his ongoing recovery from a bad blister on his left hand. (Justin Klugh, MLB Daily Dish)
• There has been no indication that Dee Gordon, who returns from his suspension today, is being shopped for trades. (Jon Morosi, Fox Sports)
• Multiple teams have inquired about Rockies lefthander Boone Logan. (Jon Morosi, Fox Sports)
• The Royals have talked to teams about taking Ian Kennedy's salary in an attempt to land Wade Davis, but that may not be enough for the Dodgers. Joel Sherman of the New York Post recalls that the Dodgers attempted to package Aroldis Chapman and Kenley Jansen in a trade. (Jeff Passan, Yahoo Sports)
• The Marlins are aggressively pursuing pitching but they may not have the prospects to be able to land a top-tier starter. (Bob Nightengale, USA Today)
• Peter Bourjos will likely be added to the disabled list with a shoulder injury so the Phillies may be inclined to trade anyone but Jeremy Hellickson. (Jayson Stark, ESPN)
• The Nationals have inquired about Blue Jays slugger Jose Bautista. A deal for Bautista seems unlikely to go through, but indicates the Nationals are interested in acquiring a hitter. (Barry Svrluga, The Washington Post)
• The Nationals have also scouted the White Sox bullpen in search of a late-inning reliever. (Bob Nightengale, USA Today)
• The talks of a trade for Brewers catcher Jonathan Lucroy are intensifying, and a deal is expected to be done before the trade deadline. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN)
• The Indians have had ongoing discussions with the Brewers on acquiring Lucroy and reliever Will Smith. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN)
• The Tigers have also inquired about Lucroy. (Ken Rosenthal, Fox Sports)
• The Cubs have discussed trading for Athletics outfielder Josh Reddick. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)
• The Indians, Dodgers and Giants are all looking for outfielders. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)
• The Dodgers are interested in Royals closer Wade Davis. (Jon Heyman, FanRag)
• The Rangers, Indians, Astros, Mets, Red Sox and a believed “mystery team” are in the running for Matt Lucroy from the Brewers. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN)
• In need of bullpen help, the Giants have held discussions with the Phillies on Jeanmar Gomez and the Brewers on Jeremy Jeffress. (Buster Olney, ESPN)
Sources: The current estimate is that the qualifying offer for MLB free agents will jump from $15.8m last winter to $16.7m this winter.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) July 27, 2016
• It’s becoming more likely the Rays will wait until the off-season to trade one of their starting pitchers. (Jerry Crasnick, ESPN)
• The Nationals have intensified their search for a relief pitcher after their walk-off loss to the Cleveland Indians last night. Close Jonathan Papelbon has been charged with the loss in two consecutive appearances. (Jon Morosi, Fox Sports)
• White Sox pitcher James Shields is available to be traded, and could command a strong return as a result of his recent success. Shields has pitched for a 1.71 ERA over his last six starts. (Jon Morosi, Fox Sports)
• The Padres and Giants are engaged in active talks regarding San Diegeo pitcher Andrew Cashner. (Jon Morosi, Fox Sports)
• Several teams have inquired about Rays utility man Steve Pearce, who is likely to be traded before the deadline. The Indians are among the interested teams. (Joel Sherman, New York Post)