Here are the latest on MLB rumors, possible trade talks and free agency transactions.
It's that time of year again where major league baseball's free agency will spark a lot of rumors and a lot of deals in teams hopes that a player will bring them one step closer to a championship.
Nine players have received $17.4 million qualifying offers from their teams, and a total of 166 players have filed for free agency.
The majority of deals are expected to take place during next month's in Orlando, Florida. As the league's general manager meetings have come and gone, teams are trying to scramble in identifying players that will help their teams in the future.
Here is the latest news and rumors from around the league.
Rumors and News
• The Cubs and pitcher Alex Cobb have mutual interest. Cobb has already received a one-year, $17.4 million qualifying offer from the Tampa Bay Rays. (Chicago Sun-Times)
• The Houston Astros have expressed interest in veteran catcher Jonathan Lucroy. (FanRag Sports)
• Marlins CEO Derek Jeter said that he had not yet spoken with Giancarlo Stanton about a possible trade. (MLB.com)
• The Yankees are among teams to talk Stanton with the Marlins (FanRag Sports)
• Baseball's union challenged the $20 million posting system for Japanese two-way player Shohei Ohtani. Ohtani's status is currently on hold. (FanRag Sports)
• The Braves will lose prospects for violating international market rules. (The Athletic)
• Th Rays are showing interest in Joey Bautista. (MLB.com)