Get the latest scoops, news and rumors during the MLB offseason.
This week, pitchers and catchers are set to report to spring training as teams get down to setting their rosters for the upcoming season.
The business of free agency is still going, as dozens of players are waiting for teams to call in hopes of securing a deal to play in 2019.
Two of the most coveted free agents continue to be Manny Machado and Bryce Harper.
Harper has a new suitor in the San Francisco Giants, who met with the slugging outfielder last week. Machado is sought after by several teams including the Chicago White Sox, who reportedly offered the All-Star a lucrative deal worth more than $250 million.
Here are all the latest rumors and news around baseball:
• Reliever Sergio Romo has agreed to a one-year, $2.5 million deal with the Marlins, pending a physical. (Jesse Sanchez, MLB.com)
• The Giants have been talking to free-agent centerfielder and right-handed batter Cameron Maybin, who could possibly give them an option behind left-handed batter Steven Duggar. (Buster Olney, ESPN)
• The Padres have been "very aggressive" with their offer to Manny Machado, who is not sure if he wants to play for the club. Some people in Machado's camp are pushing for him to take a "shorter term deal" with the Yankees. (Andy Martino, SNY)
• The Marlins are talking with free-agent reliever Sergio Romo. (Ken Rosenthal, The Athletic)
• BetOnline AG sportsbook released odds that predict the Giants are the betting favorites to sign Harper. The Giants are favored at +150 odds, while the Phillies (+200) and Padres (+250) round out the top three. (BetOnline AG)
• Bryce Harper won't consider signing a short-team deal in free agency. (Jon Heyman, MLB Network)
• There is "more smoke than fire" with the rumors regarding the Giants and Bryce Harper. (Buster Olney, ESPN)
• On Twitter, MLBPA executive director Tony Clark said, "Whoever is initiating these rumors has an obvious agenda and complete lack of respect for the free agency process," directly responding to a report by Jon Heyman regarding the status of Manny Machado's contract negotiations.
• The Yankees will keep checking in on Machado even as spring training gets underway. (Andy Martino, SNY.tv)
• The Blue Jays have made a formal offer to closer Sergio Romo. The Rangers and Twins are also interested in Romo. (Jon Morosi, MLB.com)
• The Twins are working to sign some of their young players to multiyear contracts. Jose Berrios and Eddie Rosario could be in line for paydays by week's end. (LaVelle E. Neal III, Minneapolis Star Tribune)
• Brett Anderson is signing a one-year deal with the Oakland Athletics. Anderson went 4–5 with a 4.48 ERA in 17 starts last season with Oakland. (Susan Slusser, San Francisco Chronicle)
• Pitchers Gerrit Cole, Luis Severino, Michael Fulmer, Alex Wood and Aaron Nola each have their arbitration hearings this week and their cases won't be decided until later in the week. (Associated Press)
• The Cincinnati Reds signed pitcher Zach Duke to a one-year deal. (Team announcement)