Texas Rangers (1-2-2) at Arizona Diamondbacks (3-3)
Saturday, March 6, 2021
1:10 PM MT (2:10 PM CT)
Salt River Fields | Scottsdale, AZ
TEX: LHP Taylor Hearn (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
ARI: RHP Zac Gallen (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
The Texas Rangers do not have audio or video for Saturday's game against the Diamondbacks. Only Arizona's 98.7 FM is carrying the game.
Unique Rules in Spring Training
Saturday's game between the Rangers and Diamondbacks will be a full nine-inning game — the first of the spring for Texas. According to Major League Baseball's 2021 Operations Manual, games up to March 13 can be shortened if both managers agree.
There is also a temporary rule in place that allows for managers of a defensive team to end (or roll) an inning prior to three outs following any completed plate appearance, provided the pitcher has thrown more than 20 pitches. The Rangers utilized this rule in three of their four Cactus League games.
Texas Rangers Starting Lineup
- CF Leody Taveras
- SS Isiah Kiner-Falefa
- RF Joey Gallo
- DH David Dahl
- LF Willie Calhoun
- 2B Nick Solak
- 3B Rougned Odor
- 1B Ronald Guzmán
- C Drew Butera
Arizona Diamondbacks Starting Lineup
- LF David Peralta
- DH Ketel Marte
- 3B Eduardo Escobar
- SS Nick Ahmed
- C Carson Kelly
- RF Trayce Thompson
- CF Daulton Varsho
- 1B Pavin Smith
- 2B Domingo Leyba
Texas Rangers Scheduled Pitchers
- LHP Taylor Hearn
- RHP Hunter Wood
- LHP Kolby Allard
- RHP Jharel Cotton
- RHP Jason Bahr
- RHP Brett de Geus
Other Rangers Pitching Schedules
- Kyle Gibson (two innings), Ian Kennedy, Nick Vincent, and Matt Bush are scheduled to throw live batting practice on Saturday.
- Mike Foltynewicz is scheduled to start on Sunday against the Los Angeles Dodgers. He is penciled down for two innings. Dane Dunning (two innings), Kyle Cody (two innings), Hyeon-Jong Yang (one inning), and Jordan Lyles (one inning) are scheduled to follow Folynewicz.
- Kohei Arihara is scheduled to start on Monday against the Chicago Cubs.
- Brett Martin (back spasms): Martin was scratched from Saturday's contest with the Diamondbacks. He was scheduled to pitch one inning.
- David Dahl (right shoulder surgery): No restrictions at the plate. Dahl has hit as a designated hitter throughout Cactus League play and had no issues. Progressing well in throwing program.
- Demarcus Evans (right lat strain): Has yet to throw off a mound. Will not be ready for the start of the season. The Rangers expect him to be able to throw off a mound in mid-March.
- Joely Rodríguez (sprained ankle): Rodríguez's ankle is no longer bothering him, but he is having to build up arm strength since the injury set him back. His chances of being available on Opening Day are in doubt.
- Brock Burke (left shoulder surgery): The Rangers are taking it slow with him coming off surgery in 2020. They like his progress so far, but have no urgency to rush him.
- Sam Huff (grade two hamstring strain): Still rehabbing. Will get MRI sometime next week.
- Anderson Tejeda (right elbow infection): GM Chris Young announced the infection last Tuesday. Tejeda is currently being evaluated by the Rangers medical staff.
LIVE In-Game Updates
2:12 CT: Diamondbacks starter Zac Gallen fires in strike one and we're underway at Salt River Fields.
2:19 CT: Kiner-Falefa gets a one-out single, but the Rangers are retired in the top of the first.
2:26 CT: Taylor Hearn pitches a 1-2-3 bottom of the first for the Rangers. No score after one.
2:32 CT: Gallen makes quick work of Willie Calhoun, Nick Solak, and Rougned Odor. To the bottom of the second...
2:49 CT: Hearn walks Nick Ahmed on four pitches to lead off the bottom of the second, but retires the next three Diamondbacks in order. Scoreless after two.
2:53 CT: Gallen pitches a scoreless third inning, only surrendering a walk to Drew Butera. Brett de Geus comes in to pitch the bottom of the third.
2:59 CT: de Geus faces the minimum in the bottom of the third. Scoreless game after three innings.
3:00 CT: Riley Smith comes in to pitch the top of the fourth for Arizona.
3:08 CT: RUNS. Rougned Odor hits one off the top of the wall in center field, driving in David Dahl and Nick Solak. Odor was thrown out at third base to end the top of the fourth. Rangers lead 2-0.
3:10 CT: Kolby Allard comes in to pitch the bottom of the fourth inning for the Rangers.
3:20 CT: Allard gives up a lead-off double to Ketel Marte, but he retires the next three hitters. Rougned Odor makes a great play at third base to end the inning. Rangers lead 2-0.
3:23 CT: HOME RUN. Ronald Guzmán hits a middle-middle pitch over the wall in center field to lead off the top of the fifth. 113.4 mph off the bat. Rangers lead 3-0.
3:26 CT: Riley Smith retires the next three Rangers in order after the Guzmán home run. To the bottom of the fifth. Rangers lead 3-0.
3:33 CT: Allard retires the bottom of the fifth in order. Rangers lead 3-0.
3:35 CT: Joe Mantiply comes in to pitch the top of the sixth for Arizona.
3:39 CT: After David Dahl is hit by a pitch, Willie Calhoun hits into a double play to end the inning. Adolis García replaced Dahl after the HBP. Rangers lead 3-0.
3:40 CT: Jason Bahr comes in to pitch the bottom of the sixth. Wholesale changes for the Rangers as well:
3:46 CT: RUN. Eduardo Escobar drives in Ketel Marte with a two-out RBI single off Bahr. Geraldo Perdomo strikes out to end the inning. Rangers lead 3-1.
3:51 CT: Taylor Guileau comes in to pitch the top of the seventh for Arizona.
3:58 CT: Andy Ibáñez lines a one-out double, but the Rangers are held scoreless in their half of the seventh. Stretch time in Scottsdale. Rangers lead 3-1.
4:00 CT: Jason Bahr stays in the game for a second inning of work. Yonny Hernandez replaces Nick Solak at second base.
4:03 CT: Seth Beer and Trayce Thompson lead off the bottom of the seventh with a hit and a walk, respectively. Nobody out.
4:07 CT: Bahr walks Jake McCarthy to load the bases with nobody out. At 18 pitches, it's time to watch for a rolled inning...
4:10 CT: RUN. Jose Herrera drives in a run with a sacrifice fly. With Bahr's pitch count near 50 total pitches, and well over 20 pitches in the innings, Chris Woodward rolls the inning over. To the top of the eighth... Rangers lead 3-2.
4:13 CT: Jeremy Beasley comes in to pitch the top of the eighth for Arizona. He leads off the inning by walking Eli White.
4:18 CT: Charlie Culberson hits a single and Steele Walker is hit by a pitch. Bases loaded with nobody out. Adolis García at the plate.
4:21 CT: RUNS. Adolis García comes through with the bases loaded, driving in two runs with a double to center field. Jeremy Beasley is at 17 pitches, so there will be at least one more Rangers batter this inning. Still nobody out. Rangers lead 5-2.
4:25 CT: RUN. Geraldo Perdomo boots a ground ball from Jason Martin, allowing Steele Walker to score from third base. Still nobody out. Rangers lead 6-2.
4:28 CT: RUN. Yonny Hernandez grounds into a double play, but Adolis García scores from third. With two outs, Arizona rolls the top of the eighth inning. Rangers lead 7-2.
4:30 CT: Jharel Cotton comes in to pitch the bottom of the eight inning for the Rangers.
4:37 CT: RUN. Juniel Querecuto drives in a run with a one-out double. Rangers lead 7-3.
4:52 CT: RUNS. Geraldo Perdomo drives in two runs with a one-out single. Perdomo advances to third base on a throwing error by Eli White. Perdomo scores on a wild pitch by Cotton. The Rangers roll the inning after Cotton gets Seth Beer to ground out. Rangers lead 7-6.
4:54 CT: The Rangers are retired in order in the top of the ninth.
4:55 CT: Hunter Wood retires the Diamondbacks in order in the bottom of the ninth. Rangers win 7-6.